Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was like I was shooting a different pistol!

i.imgur.com_tRkjfoh.jpg

The report was crisp, and loud, the bullets struck at point of aim, the brass flew out with authority.

i.imgur.com_nd5U7lG.jpg

i.imgur.com_iXfZ5CR.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I began squeezing them off as fast as I could, when the front site came back onto target, I squeezed again, and again. The 17 round magazine capacity was exhilarating.

i.imgur.com_OjE30aH.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I taped 4 or 5 sheets of paper up as targets, one atop another. I wasn't taking time between shots, I was trying to work the gun.

i.imgur.com_rExAXM6.jpg

i.imgur.com_A6LGqy5.jpg

Then inexplicably, on my last magazine the slide locked back half way through the mag...

i.imgur.com_bgskeqs.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Junior, I've never heard of someone having this many problems with a 92FS. I do think you need to get some new/better magazine's.

Mags are Italian. Mec Gar, three of them, new of course. It only malfunctioned one time out of 100 rounds - the slide locked back again. I am in the final stages of cleaning it. I stripped and cleaned the magazines, and they all look identical, without any aberrations. Here in a bit I will go on line and see what causes the slide to lock to the rear like this.

It is warrantied for life through Buds and although I don't want to send it off, I will if it's necessary.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mystery solved. I field stripped the 92A1 early this morning and inserted a culprit magazine fully loaded. I checked the slide catch for function and the spring was tawt, snapping vigorously back into place. I thumbed out each round slowly and deliberately, watching for contact of bullet against slide catch - it never happened. I repeated this 5x and the slide catch never lifted until after the last bullet was thumbed out. Then it lifted as it is supposed to.

i.imgur.com_QCb6VJa.jpg

Bad weather causing poor internet, stand by...

i.imgur.com_WCItwdG.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The placement of the slide catch lever offers an opportunity to improve on one's grip, and herein lies the explanation. I am convinced I was lifting the slide catch lever during live fire. After I ruled out the magazine, I realized what I had been doing as I studied the position of my thumbs and the slide catch lever.

i.imgur.com_DWuVjfm.jpg

i.imgur.com_t09hxCm.jpg

The Makarov has a zero failure rate because the slide catch lever is located out of thumb's way. I thought it was because it was single stack, but no; the slide catch can't be pressed upward while being shot.

i.imgur.com_kzjaEpH.jpg

i.imgur.com_pUDfHX6.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently, Glock recognized the potential for the error I committed and addressed it. On my 30SF the slide lock lever is very low profile.

i.imgur.com_LA3ZS2H.jpg

i.imgur.com_M0qdLo5.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Maybe you ought visit the Beretta online store and see if they've got a low profile slide lock lever, Junior! Just sayin'...

Latest posts

Top Bottom