Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, this failure happened three times in a row with the M92A1 this morning. I am using WWB Luger. Personally, I feel that this comes down to two possible problems; underpowered ammo or the magazine. I still have 118 rounds of WWB Luger remaining, before I begin shooting WWB NATO. Any opinions? If it is underpowered ammo, I feel like that's too bad, because I am one of those who is guilty of running .380 ammo through my 9x18 Makarovs without a problem. The Mak cycles just fine with anemic .380 while the much nicer Beretta fails to cycle the anemic Luger.

i.imgur.com_2gQmdUhh.jpg

As always, though, I got all 17 in the paper standing unsupported from 75 feet. I tried to get nine onto the paper from the same distance shooting the Makarov and only hit it 5 times. Both of these are Infantry weapons and I feel like the Beretta ought to do better in the reliability area.

i.imgur.com_xutRli1h.jpg

While the Makarovs can't hold 18 rounds, I have never had a reliability issue with either of them, and continue to carry one as a BUG.

Edit: I have marked this magazine, and will put 17 or 18 through the Beretta tomorrow using a different mag. Now, when I get to the NATO, I will be very annoyed if these feeding issues continue. If they do, the Beretta becomes a safe queen, and a straight shooter with reliability issues. It is so accurate that I want to give it every benefit of a doubt. Shooting the Lugers through it is like shooting a 22, and it does not have the bite that the Makarov does.

I am being patient, and will shoot the rest of the Lugers before opening the first box of NATO.

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really shouldn't be having those kinds of failures unless the magazine is bad, or ammo is very weak

Well, I am going to step on the gas peddle and try to get through the rest of these Lugers so that I can start shooting the more powerful NATO. But the Beretta is so damned accurate. When I get a whole magazine on that sheet of paper at 75 feet, I feel like somebody!

Edit: Now, bigchuck83 if this is magazine related, I feel it is forgivable. But since the 92 series is what is issued to the military, they ought to be able to run cheap ammo as long as it is 9x19 - they ought to be able to shoot anything that is available in that caliber.

I like the Beretta because:

1. It is pretty.
2. It holds 18 rounds.
3. It is very, very accurate.

I no longer carry it because:

1. I don't trust it.

Soon as it's daylight, I'll tend to the chickens and go down below and run 17 through a different magazine. I take my time between shots so that I can tighten up that impact zone on the paper. I am not going to waste ammo just to rule out a problem. I am hoping it is not the ammo. Because if a military weapon can't cycle what's available...

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I ran a stack through using a different mag, hoping to blame this on a bad magazine. I suppose I could have two bad magazines. We will try the third one tomorrow.

What is happening here now is that the slide is locking to the rear while I'm still shooting. It is coming fully back and then locking into place. Am still using Winchester Luger. I uneasily suspect that the slide would not be coming back fully if the ammo was that underpowered.

It's good target practice, though.

i.imgur.com_xyRLSEMh.jpg

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is it anemic Luger ammunition causing these troubling alibis? Well, I am not waiting to shoot all of the Luger. I am going to find out right pretty soon now. I am busting into my NATO stash!

i.imgur.com_QZQW5ui.jpg

Let's put it to the test, Beretta! Let's see if the 92A1 has to have high octane to run!

i.imgur.com_tmnImvN.jpg

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I ran a stack through using a different mag, hoping to blame this on a bad magazine. I suppose I could have two bad magazines. We will try the third one tomorrow.

What is happening here now is that the slide is locking to the rear while I'm still shooting. It is coming fully back and then locking into place. Am still using Winchester Luger. I uneasily suspect that the slide would not be coming back fully if the ammo was that underpowered.

Maybe the slide stop is being actuated while firing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom