Hard primers in Hornady?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has an AR...it was a complete lower from FBT and a S&W upper from his M&P.
He was shooting 55gr Vmax Hornady (Factory loads) and not getting ignition. Are Hornady bullets known for hard primers, or should I check springs in the lower?
I dont know what the strikes look like, I'll see if he has pics.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Show pics and have him try a different ammo.
We had a member on here that had light strikes awhile back from some machining debris left in the bolt carrier group that was restricting the firing pin from making a full stroke.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok he doesnt have pics...I suggested different ammo as stated.
He said this lower ran fine on his 300 blackout upper so I'm leaning towards primers (Didnt know this part when I posted).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless its a bad lot of ammo, primers would be the last thing I'd consider.
Have somebody shoot the suspect ammo in another AR.
A complete strip of the BCG with an ultrasonic or high pressure cleaning of the interior would be the next thing I'd look at as well as a very close inspection of each part to see if anything looks out of sorts.
Is your friend new to AR's?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They put it through another rifle (not AR) and it shot fine...I was not there so dont know what they put it through although I suspect it was my buddies Gunsite Scout.

I have the lower with me...I'll try it on one of my uppers and see if it was the lower or just bad luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. If it fires fine for you with one of your uppers, use the same ammo, and have him try the same ammo with his upper.
There is a reason it misfired, and hard primers is not likely the answer.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if it worked on his other upper, and it works on my upper...regardless of ammo that takes the lower out of the question of being the problem doesnt it?
And what in the upper could cause it to not ignite?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if it worked on his other upper, and it works on my upper...regardless of ammo that takes the lower out of the question of being the problem doesnt it?
And what in the upper could cause it to not ignite?
I thought the other gun was not an AR?

They put it through another rifle (not AR) and it shot fine...I was not there so dont know what they put it through although I suspect it was my buddies Gunsite Scout.

I have the lower with me...I'll try it on one of my uppers and see if it was the lower or just bad luck.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had a similar problem with a 308, extractor had 2 o-rings instead of 1 and was tearing tiny flakes of brass off that were sticking to the face of the bolt. removed the extra o ring and cleaned the brass flakes off the bolt face and it's been good to go since

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the other gun was not an AR?

Buddy with this lower has two AR rifles. This lower was originally on his 300 and it shot fine then he swapped the 556 upper and it wouldn't ignite. While at the range he just had the one with him and another buddy was there with his 223 Gunsite Scout it so they ran the ammo through it and it fired.

I'm just referring to using my upper on it to see if it runs with mine like it did his other upper. I have possession of the lower so gonna try it and see. He doesn't get to the range as often as I do so I'm going to tinker with it.