Hard primers in Hornady?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm back!

Tried this lower on two different uppers today with two different ammo brands and nada.
Also tried a new-to-me upper on this lower and my own which has been flawless thus far and it wouldnt run either....so I got all kinds of "problems".

Hammer spring orientation matches between my two lowers.

With the new upper on the new lower sometimes it wouldnt eject, sometimes it wouldnt reset hammer and pick up new round...so I'm guessing its short stroking which would point to something in the gas system? (Too long, wrong port size, etc?) Gas system of both uppers is same length however...so I'd think that means its bleeding it off in the new upper or has too small of a port?

I dont remember what the new lower did on my good upper but it wasnt functioning correct.

I'm obviously no AR Guru. I know enough to get the basics and operation but aside from that I'm all ears.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back!

Tried this lower on two different uppers today with two different ammo brands and nada.
Also tried a new-to-me upper on this lower and my own which has been flawless thus far and it wouldnt run either....so I got all kinds of "problems".

Hammer spring orientation matches between my two lowers.

With the new upper on the new lower sometimes it wouldnt eject, sometimes it wouldnt reset hammer and pick up new round...so I'm guessing its short stroking which would point to something in the gas system? (Too long, wrong port size, etc?) Gas system of both uppers is same length however...so I'd think that means its bleeding it off in the new upper or has too small of a port?

I dont remember what the new lower did on my good upper but it wasnt functioning correct.

I'm obviously no AR Guru. I know enough to get the basics and operation but aside from that I'm all ears.

Here's some info on JP Springs. Read the descriptions and try to figure out which spring set it is. If it is in fact a reduced power hammer spring you are going to have to lighten the hammer. I've done a couple with the JP reduced power springs, have always whacked the tail off the hammer and it's always ran even hard Wolf primers, tough I don't use them anymore. The have too many duds and it doesn't matter how hard you whack them.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.3_spring.php

The upper does sound like short stroking. Make sure the gas key is tight and properly staked, then look to the gas block for leakage. After that you are looking at the port.