Has anyone else really read the new military retirement plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leaves no incentive to stay in. It will cost more to train new troops than to keep the ones that are already trained.

Yep. Most the retired military don't even get a great amount of money anyways. Most people look at what a 3 star general gets and use that number, when the truth is most retired military personel are NCO's.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Public sector catching up with the private sector, the large company I worked for changed from pension to 401K in the late '90's. There are very few if any private sector pensions any more.

IMO they should have gone after the elected officials retirement first but that isn't the way it works, they hit the lower end of the chain first....

PS. None of my comments are meant to be construed as saying the contribution of those in the armed forces is not worthy of a pension...

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see any reason why someone would stay 20 or more years with the 401k plan. Wouldn't make much sense. If your going to serve now, then you should do your minimum tour, get money for college (if you need it) and then get out. Or better yet, go to school while your in and get out and find a job (after your first tour). Believe me you don't want to get out of the military in your 40's and try to find a job (with no income coming in). That's just dumb.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Public sector catching up with the private sector, the large company I worked for changed from pension to 401K in the late '90's. There are very few if any private sector pensions any more.

IMO they should have gone after the elected officials retirement first but that isn't the way it works, they hit the lower end of the chain first....

PS. None of my comments are meant to be construed as saying the contribution of those in the armed forces is not worthy of a pension...
+1
They should do it in stages. First do it to elected officials then non-military workers then soldiers last.

Michael

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1
They should do it in stages. First do it to elected officials then non-military workers then soldiers last.

Michael

The Company I worked for quickly converted it from an entitlement to performance based so the "pension" contribution to the 401K was linked to your yearly performance. I think this would be perfect for the elected folks. And would work nicely for the combat troops as they should get extra incentives....

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There should be no pension for elected folks... they should be limited to 2 terms and out. Lifetime politicians are getting rich off of their "service"... this was not the intention of our founding fathers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom