Have You Patterned Your Home Defense Shotgun Yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you patterned your shotgun?

• Yes ... Always pattern my Shotty. I know exactly what I'm going to hit at what distance

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • No ... Never pattern my Shotty. scatterguns only require being pointed in general direction

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • What's a pattern?

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No... But I will

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you put the sights on the target and pull the trigger. its not ****ing rocket science.

I'm not going to say that not patterning your shotgun is negligent or anything like that, but I find this statement odd.

Do you test your handguns to see if they hit what you're aiming at? Do you sight in your rifle? Why wouldn't you pattern the Shotgun (or at least train/practice at the range at the same distance you intend to shoot it for self defense and therefore seeing the pattern)?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I do pattern all my shottys; and it is my primary HD.

With that said, when the SHTF you'll be squeezing and pumping ... Self defense is not like hunting or practice - you are on the wrong side of the curve already. And if you make it through you won't remember how many rounds you fired, where you were aiming and was the firearm shouldered or off-hand; you'll be doing a LOT OF missing as well. IMHO, in self defense, pattern (just like over-penetration) is a moot point.

I guess my two cents are - practice a lot of "point and shoot": you have to hit the BG: gauge, pattern and shot size do have their advantage AND disadvantages - distance being MAJOR factor.

I prefer widespread (12"+) at 15 yards of #00. Some of you were talking about 6-8" patterns - why not use a slug if you are that confident in your aim?

csiedmond1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to say that not patterning your shotgun is negligent or anything like that, but I find this statement odd.

Do you test your handguns to see if they hit what you're aiming at? Do you sight in your rifle? Why wouldn't you pattern the Shotgun (or at least train/practice at the range at the same distance you intend to shoot it for self defense and therefore seeing the pattern)?

Negligent? Really? I have not patterned mine either, never even considered it an option or necessity... But i will now...

Latest posts

Top Bottom