Have You Patterned Your Home Defense Shotgun Yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you patterned your shotgun?

• Yes ... Always pattern my Shotty. I know exactly what I'm going to hit at what distance

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • No ... Never pattern my Shotty. scatterguns only require being pointed in general direction

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • What's a pattern?

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No... But I will

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread. Thanks for the Box of Truth links. Just bought a short barrel pump shotty with folding stock and took it to the range today. It was intersting training rapid firing from the shoulder and then shooting from hip.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I patterned my Mossberg 590A1 using five foot tall Pillsbury Doughboy cardboard displays at five, fifteen and twentyfive yards. Trying to post pictures but even after resizing I am getting error messages. Will try later.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buck shot is awesome, I like mixing the magazine with #4 turkey shot tho for inside defense use. #4 inside a structure like a hallway would be devastating.

We were patterning some various buck shot ammo one day and decided to try a "ka=pow" 1oz slug on this old metal cow feeder. Talk about a HUGE hole. Thru both sides! The buck shot only penetrated the outside wall of the feeder. The slug made a hole big enough to wave at your friend through.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you patterned with the #4 also? I thought the same thing and was planning to load mine up with 2-#4, 2-00, and last round slug. HD shotgun is a Maverick 88 I chopped to 18.5". With 00 and slug I'm good out to 20 yds(farthest I patterned) with#4 couldn't keep it all in a torso target at even 10 yds. Actually really surprised me how much it spread and how quickly, even with no choke.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be checking this guys pattern this weekend...

It should redefine the name "scattergun"

ai29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_870.jpg

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be checking this guys pattern this weekend...

It should redefine the name "scattergun"

ai29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_870.jpg

Oooooooohhhh sexy AOW!
Where did you pick her up at?

And to the people mixing your loads in your SG, I wouldn't do that. To each their own, but IMHO it's not very wise. I would load up with 00 bukshot and keep some slugs in the side saddle. If for whatever unforseen reason you need to take a shot >30 yards or shoot through an engine block, you can 'select a slug'. At least that's the way I was taught.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oooooooohhhh sexy AOW!
Where did you pick her up at?

And to the people mixing your loads in your SG, I wouldn't do that. To each their own, but IMHO it's not very wise. I would load up with 00 bukshot and keep some slugs in the side saddle. If for whatever unforseen reason you need to take a shot >30 yards or shoot through an engine block, you can 'select a slug'. At least that's the way I was taught.

But then again, you were, apparently, taught to pattern your shotgun to be able to prevent stray pellets, so everyone may not have such talent.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But then again, you were, apparently, taught to pattern your shotgun to be able to prevent stray pellets, so everyone may not have such talent.
Right, because that's what I said. I was under the impression that my earlier posts were about patterning the SG with different ammunition to see how a specific shotgun typically preforms with a specific ammunition. So if a specific load is continually throwing fliers, that ammunition can be avoided. Silly me. I am thankful that you gifted me with the power to redirect pellets in flight. Thank you! Are you done being a prick and derailing the thread with your sarcastic comments toward me now?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the same three loads and at 15 yards they are within about 6 inches. Well I have the cheap Win steal casings (range only unless zombies are beatin' the door down), Win premium w/ brass, and the slugs. The shot performs very well so im happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom