Headed to Afghanistan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I checked into my RSP unit this last Tuesday after pretty much just getting done with basic and found out I will be headed to Afghanistan around mid June. I leave the 24th of this month to do pre-moblilzation training at Camp Shelby, MS. It was definitely a shocker to the wife and kids because I Just graduated, but hey it is what it is. I am trying to make the best of it and in all reality it probably is the best time for this to happen anyways. Where I will be in Afghanistan I am told has internet access, but Ill believe it when I see it. I am due back April of next year and have 2 weeks leave mid-deployment, so there are a whole lot of guys that have it way worse than I do. Also, my MOS is 11 Bravo and I will be going with the 45th Infantry Brigade.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I checked into my RSP unit this last Tuesday after pretty much just getting done with basic and found out I will be headed to Afghanistan around mid June. I leave the 24th of this month to do pre-moblilzation training at Camp Shelby, MS. It was definitely a shocker to the wife and kids because I Just graduated, but hey it is what it is. I am trying to make the best of it and in all reality it probably is the best time for this to happen anyways. Where I will be in Afghanistan I am told has internet access, but Ill believe it when I see it. I am due back April of next year and have 2 weeks leave mid-deployment, so there are a whole lot of guys that have it way worse than I do. Also, my MOS is 11 Bravo and I will be going with the 45th Infantry Brigade.

did you do basic or basic and AIT? how was Benning? From what I have seen some of the 45th is squared away and good to go, some of it needed help...I hope you and those around you are squared away. Good luck - stay alert stay alive

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best of luck to you brother! Let us know your mailing address when you find it out! One peice of advice that did me good, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for your service. Thank your family from mine for their sacrifice. God speed and watch your six.

Last edited:

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are going to have some interesting months ahead of you. It has been 58 years since I went to Korea, and I still think about the guys I served with in the 7th Infantry Division. Thank you for your service and may God bless and keep you safe.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you do basic or basic and AIT? how was Benning? From what I have seen some of the 45th is squared away and good to go, some of it needed help...I hope you and those around you are squared away. Good luck - stay alert stay alive

It was basic and ait which they call OSUT (one station unit training) Benning sucked balls, but I have some awesome memories and had some really really good training with some drill sgts. who really knew what they were doing. I have heard good things about the brigade. Specifically I am in the 1/279, delta co which has a really good repuatation. I'll find out soon enough though haha.
Thanks everyone else for the comments. I'll be sure and keep you guys posted once I get there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom