Heartland Outdoors SHUTS DOWN 12-31-13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an issue with DavidE a couple of years ago, It took awhile and some serious threats to get my mags that he said he "forgot" to bring to a ftf at Heartland!
I left feedback in his feedback thread about it!

Hate to hear about Heartland going down, That sucks and it sucks more that the employees got no warning !

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. I just bought my daughter a new bow from HO for Christmas. Guys in the store were always very friendly!

Its hard to believe that a gun store in the current market would not be able to stay open. Was the range keeping the retail afloat? Even if it was, every time I had been in the store in the last year, the range was busy...with waiting lists most times.

Sort of a jump off topic....a quick hijack....I have heard rumors about a range/retail store going in somewhere in N Okc. Any truth to that rumor?

Only one I know of is in Mustang--Big Boys is, I think, working on an indoor range. Haven't heard of anything north.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is too bad. I've been in Heartland a few times but only bought powder. I did assume, however, that the area was a high rent district and with the extra insurance costs of running a gun range that it would be difficult to stay in the black.

You assumed correctly. I never thought it would float itself being in the location that it was and they spent a ton of money on decorating the store. There is some profit margin to be had on shooting/hunting accessories but it's pretty thin on the firearms which are the higher ticket items of the business model. It was just a money pit from the get-go and the owner was unaware of a lot of things that was going on in his business for a long time at least and from the sounds of it, possibly the duration. It was doomed from the start.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how late in their operations that they sold gift cards. But, if they were still selling them within 2 weeks of closing, that seems extremely unethical. Now, I realize that the owners were trying to delay the bad news as long as possible and hoping to have as big of a Christmas selling season as they could. But, the selling of gift cards up to the last minute is wrong, unless they were tracking those sales for a refund later. I hope they didn't just intentionally stiff their customers that way and would expect better from them.

One of the reasons the owner was being hush hush about the closing might have been because he was hoping the Christmas rush might have pulled them out of the drain. Announcing the closure would have been a sure fire way to make sure gift cards didn't sell. Gift cards are pure profit until they are used. Most people won't go through the trouble of disputing charges or trying to recoup their money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom