Helicopter vs mountain lion--cost comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Story follows. Struck me that a .44 mag in a fanny pack would have saved the state several thousand dollars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLACER COUNTY - The assignment that officers Monty Emery and David White received on Saturday is unlike anything they had ever experienced or expected as helicopter pilots with the California Highway Patrol.

The officers were dispatched to help a hiker, David Nash of Rocklin, who was being stalked by a mountain lion on the Stevens Trail near Colfax. The man was not able to scare the lion off. It was blocking his path two miles from the trailhead, and the sun was setting.

"You know, I shudder to think what would have happened if (Nash) wouldn't have had a cell phone...to call for help," White told FOX40.

Thankfully, Stevens Trail is a very short flight from the CHP's Air Operations Unit at the Auburn Airport. Emery and White flew from there to Nash's location on the trail. They found him frantically waving a flashlight, with the lion standing twenty-to-thirty feet in front of him. But there was no suitable place to land the helicopter.

"I'd never scared off a mountain lion before using a helicopter," said Emery. But he and White accomplished that very feat.

"We actually had to come in quite low and close to Mr. Nash for the cat to finally take off and run up the mountain," explained White. "We were able to hover over top of Mr. Nash with a bright light which is our night sun spotlight. And we stayed over the top of him until he met up with deputies further up the trail."

On Sunday, a state Fish and Wildlife warden went to the trail to put up warning signs. According to Fish and Wildlife, the lion aggressively approached the warden, and he fatally shot it.

http://fox40.com/2013/02/20/chp-helicopter-helps-save-man-from-mountain-lion/#ixzz2LXXpiCDB

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No different than people slowing down, paying attention, not DUI or DWI, would save taxpayers and fire departments thousands of dollars worth of extrication equipment and training. Would save insurance companies millions per year. This is a good example of why we have public services, the examples I listed are the reasons why it's so expensive to operate. Makes for a cool story though, to have a chopper come in at your six and scare off a cat at dark thirty!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But this is why you hike using the buddy system. Always hike with a buddy who can not run as fast as you can.

You still need at least a derringer--shoot buddy in foot to assure he can't keep up with you . . .

If the state would have charged him for the rescue, he might see the wisdom in buying a little .44 to have along. Oops, forgot this happened in California. Not sure hikers can carry weapons.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was pulling fire watch at Camp Pendleton Range 314 one night when I heard something. When I went to check it out it was a mountain lion digging through a 55 gallon oil drum / trash can. I figured he could have whatever the heck he wanted. Not a fight I was interested in. If I remember correct the fine for so much as hurting a mountain lions feelings was more than my life as a Lance Corporal was even worth. LOL

jfleye

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had two young cows killed and torn apart. The large cat tracks around the bodies had nothing to do with their deaths 'cause there are no lions in central Oklahoma and the would not go after any animal as large as my cows.(I can't afford to let them stay around) My traps keep getting hauled off too. Of course I always obey the law and would never molest a lion.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You still need at least a derringer--shoot buddy in foot to assure he can't keep up with you . . .

If the state would have charged him for the rescue, he might see the wisdom in buying a little .44 to have along. Oops, forgot this happened in California. Not sure hikers can carry weapons.

It would probably have to have non lead bullets at least...

Latest posts

Top Bottom