Helio Hog Hunting !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of these are shoot all you can & let em lay from what I've seen. Can't really get behind that.

normally yes i agree with you ,type in youtube search " houston we have a problem hog" .

maybe a mass butchering for the poor and hungry i don't really know a good answer .
something we let get out of hand .

elance

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
normally yes i agree with you ,type in youtube search " houston we have a problem hog" .

maybe a mass butchering for the poor and hungry i don't really know a good answer .
something we let get out of hand .

elance

Oh, I do get the point of it, I was hog hunting last weekend just across the border in TX & I saw the damage a hundred or so hogs could do overnight, its bad. It is just going to be really hard to convince people we are ethical stewards of the environment after PETA starts blasting footage of the after effects of one of these "Heli-Hunts"....

I am not a big animal rights guy, but I do believe its the hunters responsibility to ensure a quick & relatively clean death to the animal, to leave the hunt site cleaner than before he arrived, & also to use what he kills. "Heli-Hunts" are 0 & 3 in that respect, & will draw a ton of backlash from most of the hunters I know...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your average guy won't be able to afford it, so the ones doing the shooting will be guys with lots of cash to burn and government employees. I think we can count on them both to not waste meat and act in a way to preserve the reputation of hunters.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your average guy won't be able to afford it, so the ones doing the shooting will be guys with lots of cash to burn and government employees. I think we can count on them both to not waste meat and act in a way to preserve the reputation of hunters.

Government and frugal (not wasting) in the same sentence. HA!!! I sense the sarcasm.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe just a little...

I've heard guys talk about shooting a pig during a deer hunt, and just letting it lay, cause they didn't know what to do with it, or were just too lazy to clean it.
I have zero respect for that. Hogs are a huge problem, but letting good meat got to waste is way wrong. I end up giving a lot away (mostly deer) every year to folks who need it. Gives me a good excuse not to end hunting season too soon.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - I wrote a letter about ten years ago to each member of the Wildlife Commision and the then head of the ODWC encouraging them to implement a system to pair hunters with landowners to try to stop what was then a burgeoning hog problem. I outlined the system in New Mexico for antelope as a guideline. Only one representative wrote back, and the ODWC head wrote back and basically said "we got this". I got the distinct feeling he didn't want my input. Today there is such a system by the AG dept, but it's not used or advertised much.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna be the "bad guy" here and I hope all those dang gone helicopters fall from the sky!!!

Yes, I know the mass destruction hogs can do to the land, I've hunted them for over 30 years and hogs are one of my favorite animals to hunt...

I personally feel that the mass slaughter of healthy animals is wrong. There are enough hunters out there that would gladly hunt these hogs and either put the meat in their freezer or give it to someone who could really use it...

I formed a team of retired Military and Police Snipers back around 2004 and shot and killed 7 tons of wild hogs, had the meat processed into sausage and gave the vast majority of it away to families that needed the meat. I personally kept 100 pounds of it and it was MUCH better eating than anything you could ever buy in the grocery stores...

No need for helicopters and the problems it's gonna bring with it. Just give the hunters a chance to see what they can do first....

Latest posts

Top Bottom