Hello everyone! New guy with Taurus Judge and questions on ammo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Derrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in edmond and just purchased a Taurus Judge with 2.5 chamber 2'' barrel and the place I purchased it from was nice priced $430 stainless, they didn't have any 410 shells or .45 long rounds???? I went to H&H next to buy ammo and it was crazy priced so I just got a box of Federal Premium .410 000 buckshot and box of federal hi-brass load for playing. I spent $35 bucks on those two? Question is what is best .410 load for home defense and what is best for playing at range or out in the fields? Next question is same but about the .45 long rounds. What to use for the house and what to use for the range? Last question is where is the cheapest place in the city to purchase this stuff? I am wanting to go shoot pretty soon but don't want to break the bank! Thanks guys this website rocks. CD

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, welcome! Someone will be along shortly to post aliens.

For self defense, buckshot works about as well as anything else. I think Federal has some specialized "self defense" ammo for the Judge. However, there have been some tests that indicate .410 shells don't provide enough penetration for self defense, no matter the load. Don't take my word for it though, use your google-fu.

If you end up using .45 Colt for self defense, any reputable maker with a good jacketed hollow point will do the trick. Look for Remington, Winchester, Corbon, etc..

Range/practice, you could probably use lead round nose bullets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the popularity of the Judge, Winchester and Federal are designing ammo that is specifically designed for the Judge.
Standard .410 ammo is pretty anemic coming from a short barrel when its designed to be shot from a 22" barrel.
New SD ammo is designed by the manufactures to get 1100fps or so with the buckshot rounds that are .32 cal. Thats not bad for 5 projectiles at the same time.
The #4 shot rounds they sell are great for snake shot or something like that at extremely short range. Really effective at 3 yds or less. Any more than that and the pattern is blown.
For the record I have a 3X3 Judge in stainless and have done an extensive test with it a year or so ago.
Another "for the record" the 1100fps advertised by the mfg's for the judge is the same fps as lots of the standard .410 loads. They just use a fast burning powder for the Judge.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to box o truth and read up about that Judge you bought.

410 (including the miracle shells) is a weak sister from a shotgun... and the Judge makes a mockery of the 45 Colt round- (short barrels and shallow rifling grooves)

Probably the best $450 you could ever spend on a handgun ---if you're carjacked by a watermelon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take all the criticism too seriously. My wife and I own a sizeable fifth wheel, which at some time we will live in, and we plan on having a Taurus Judge for self defense in that. The last thing I want to do is have a weapon that will put a bullet through several RV's should I miss the bad guy.

I would think that for close range, self defense the Judge will do just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom