Help for a new Hog hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like in 2 weeks I'll be going on my first hog hunt. Super stoked... One problem. I don't know what I'm doing. Is it similar to deer? Blind, stand, ect. or walk around trying to jump em? What do I look for in a blind location? Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you going to an area thats been scouted and you know there are hogs there? I always practice scent control anytime I go hog hunting. Their nose is second to none. Eyesight is OK. On private land I hunt from a tripod stand and on public lands I hun from a ground blind made partially from collected ground debris and camo netting.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The landowner says there are tons of hogs there. My dad and I are planning to hunt out of a tent blind. I just don't know if they hang in the trees or in the open or on the edge of trees/open ect. ect.

Hogs generally like the really thick stuff. However you can find them out in the open. Lately, down here they have been coming in around dusk and later according to the cams. I haven't been in a little while as I've currently got the flu. If the landowner has a feeder set up, or a place where a feeder was, that might be a good spot to take a look at. Best thing I can tell you is to go to the land and take a good look around. Their signs are going to be very obvious.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs generally like the really thick stuff. However you can find them out in the open. Lately, down here they have been coming in around dusk and later according to the cams. I haven't been in a little while as I've currently got the flu. If the landowner has a feeder set up, or a place where a feeder was, that might be a good spot to take a look at. Best thing I can tell you is to go to the land and take a good look around. Their signs are going to be very obvious.

Thanks.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pointy end of bullet goes in Hog..! You ad-lib the rest.

Aren't any rules, just hunt them how you see fit. Hunt them around food. Try to spot and stalk when they're bedded. Ambush hunt on a trail. It's all good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snow is the best time to find them on a spot and stalk.
If the landowner has a feeder, they will be there like clockwork when the timer goes off.
Hogs are not like deer, in that they don't have a bedding area, and then travel the same route to a feeding area.
They are nomads running from hunting pressure, and feeders of opportunity.
Look for fresh rooting activity.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had luck just following their trails if you can find somewhere they are going to feed regularly. We just got the wind in our favor and walked till we walked into them. It was a flurry of shooting and we got 5. The other times I have shot them have just been opportunities when I have walked into them while predator hunting or when we have been driving a creek with a bunch of guys. They are pretty hard to find if anyone has been shooting at them. Good luck and I hope you have some pictures to share with us after your trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom