Help for a new Hog hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually use a 300, but have dropped 150 lb's at 75 yds with my AK. I put my friend one some 2 years ago and at 25 yds he dropped a 200 lb. Sow. I then bought a 5 1/2 in ruger to do the same, but even though it's been a while I haven't been with in 35 yds or less of a hog. I would take the 300 and the 44 in case u get Real close. With the price of gas one 300 bullet using much, sides their fat on big ones didn't always leave a good blood trail. Good Luck

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What r00s7a says has been my experience. They usually go way out of their way to get away from you. I usually have a varmint rifle cause I run into them calling predators. .22-250 or .223 will do them in. Make the first shot count cause you may not get another good one. They can disappear in a hurry.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like in 2 weeks I'll be going on my first hog hunt. Super stoked... One problem. I don't know what I'm doing. Is it similar to deer? Blind, stand, ect. or walk around trying to jump em? What do I look for in a blind location? Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
find the tracks and then Stalk them, I have always found the tracks and followed them, then ambush, I always carry a savage 30-30 pump rifle and a pistol for backup, Use FMJ in the pistol,you want penetration on these tough hides, I have walked big circles and then reversing the route and repeating the process Slowly..They will pop out on you and you get about 5 seconds to shoot till they are gone, Be careful cause they will charge you if Piglets are with them, This is when my pump 30-30 comes in real handy and it likes Hogs. Its really not that different from hunting deer but the danger is real with them.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you really want exciting, go with somebody with dogs. catch em alive or stick em. only downfall is that it may forever ruin you from sitting in a tree waiting for something to walk by (yawn)

Latest posts

Top Bottom