Help ID this bird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the bird ID websites but wasn't able to determine what this bird is. It is nested in a flower pot on my front porch, just outside the front door. She is small but not as small as a hummingbird. Long, pointed, brown beak; brown with a little white around the eyes and on her head; breast is white and maybe a little yellow. I will post a phone pic and hope it helps.

On a related note. Last week an acquaintance was telling about a large bird that dove toward him while he was mowing near a wooded area. He described it as large like an owl or hawk, but was black with a lot of white. Large beak like a predatory bird. Could it be a Crested Caracara or falcon?

Attachments

• porch_bird.jpg
    porch_bird.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 170

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carolina wren probably, could also be a Bewick's wren, although they usually nest in a shelter of some sort.

I've had quite a few Mississippi kites swooping thru the yard lately. They do some crazy fast dives, but they're after bugs, mostly dragonflies. Have him pay attention next time, if they catch a dragonfly in their foot, they immediately start eating it on the fly. Very easy to notice. Also, since they're a bug eater, the other birds leave them alone and don't dive-bomb them like they do a Coopers Hawk or Sharp Shinned hawk, another way to tell.

Last edited:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carolina wren probably, could also be a Bewick's wren, although they usually nest in a shelter of some sort.

I've had quite a few Mississippi kites swooping thru the yard lately. They do some crazy fast dives, but they're after bugs, mostly dragonflies. Have him pay attention next time, if they catch a dragonfly in their foot, they immediately start eating it on the fly. Very easy to notice. Also, since they're a bug eater, the other birds leave them alone and don't dive-bomb them like they do a Coopers Hawk or Sharp Shinned hawk, another way to tell.
How large is a Mississippie Kite? He described it as about 4 foot wing span and large beak. I assumed his mowing was stirring up mice and rats or he could be too close to a nest.

Wish I was better at identifying birds.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think this is a win. In the morning I'll see if I can get a look at the tail. The head sure looks like the Carolina wren. The plant pot on the porch has some gypsum moss for decoration. Her nest with 4 eggs is underneath the surface of the moss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom