Bird ID and Nest questions... Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... The last 3 years, I've had these birds making a nest in the spring up underneath my front porch in the corner. They're fun to watch going about their little bird business, making the nest and all and then watching the babies poke their heads over and learn to fly.

This year I've wondered where they were, but I think the pair of Mockingbirds that took over one of my trees had been scaring them off. (the Mockingbirds have already had 4 babies that have now flown as of this weekend).

NOW, as of today, the little birds (I don't know what they are?) are back and I've seen them hanging around their old leftover nest from last year. In the past, I've sprayed down the nest with the hose after they've gone and then they rebuild it the next spring. This year, I left the nest up and now that they are back, I'm not sure what to do?

Will they go ahead and use the leftover nest again?
Would it be better if I go ahead and spray it down now and let them rebuild?

OH... and someone PLEASE tell me what kind of birds these are? Some kind of swallow? They fly really gracefully and have those swooped back wings. Pretty small, maybe 3/4 at the most the size of a Robin sized bird.

Thanks guys!

i50.tinypic.com_212tkew.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WAIT! I think I know what bird it is now... is it a Barn Swallow?

That was my guess. They also return to the same nest (or at least same nesting spot) every year, which is a habit your birds have as well.

I'd leave the nest, that is if you don't mind them having a nest on your porch. I had robins try that this year, on my porch light about 1 foot from the door. That didn't work, so I had to remove about 3 attempts at a nest before they got the hint. They then took up residence in my oak tree in the back yard. Much better, and I keep the bath full and yard mowed for them to graze for bugs. Now if only they'd keep the doves out of my strawberries...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this under the Barn Swallow Wiki:

There are normally two broods, with the original nest being reused for the second brood and being repaired and reused in subsequent years.

Mine have normally only had one brood each year, but maybe it's because I keep blasting their nest after they're done with it. Maybe leaving this one up will cause me to have two this year?

After looking at Barn Swallow pics online, I'm sure that's what they are now. I just never took the time to research it. They must like my porch though because I leave my light on all night out there and it draws all kinds of stuff for them to feed on.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother dated a barn swallow once...

LOL. I think several of us have. :)

Keep your spray hose handy to take care of the "residue" left on the porch below the nest.

Ya, that's a big 10-4 there! They do leave a nice little pile on the porch that I have to spray off every couple of days. It's worth the hassle to have the enjoyment of hearing them singing in the morning and eating the bugs though.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes thats a swallow. Kin to the Purple Martin I think. I have a bunch of Martins out back on a pole. Its a 12 gourd rack and right now I have 11 pairs living in it and a combined 65 eggs. This is what the rack looks like http://www.chuckspurplemartinpage.com/rack.htm

Martin landlording is very fun. I also have a swallow nest on my front porch.

That's a pretty sweet gourd rack! My grandpa used to have a couple of big purple martin houses and I always remember him enjoying them very much. I might have to do something like that in the backyard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom