Help Ideas for New Rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've always fired a single shot rifle. But now that I'm in a wheelchair and I have to use
a chair mount to fire I need a bolt action rifle. It needs to be light and easy to use the
bolt one handed. Because of the cost of the wheelchair ($6,000.00) and the rifle mount
($2,350.00), the rifle need to cost less than $ 800.00. I'm running out of money!!!

Who knew that when I became handicapped that the cost of everything would be drastically
higher. It seems as if you add the medical to any object and it triples in price. I'm almost
afraid to find a handicapped rifle because the price would be astronomical.... anyway
could some of you help me by giving me an idea of what would be ggo? I will use it mainly
for deer,song dogs, prairie dogs, turkey, and target.

I use a pistol and shotgun fine for the shotgun has always been a snap shot for me
and pistol is somewhat easy, I just move a bit because I shake. But most of the time
I'm next to the center.

I know this is long but I really need the help.

Thanks

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about an AR-10 type rifle?

He's asking about a bolt-action rifle with a cap of $800 to spend. I have no clue about modern bolt-actions, but if you're into milsurps, perhaps a Swedish M96? It's got a bolt that sticks straight out to the side, so it might be easier to manipulate than a bent bolt, and the Swedish 6.5 round is exemplary in terms of accuracy and energy on target. M96's can be found for less than $400, though the ammo can be expensive if you don't reload.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's asking about a bolt-action rifle with a cap of $800 to spend. I have no clue about modern bolt-actions, but if you're into milsurps, perhaps a Swedish M96? It's got a bolt that sticks straight out to the side, so it might be easier to manipulate than a bent bolt, and the Swedish 6.5 round is exemplary in terms of accuracy and energy on target. M96's can be found for less than $400, though the ammo can be expensive if you don't reload.

Didn't realize it was against the rules to suggest something different.

LungShot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend a Browning A-bolt stalker chambered in .25-06 or .243

The Browning A-bolt sells for $499 at Bass Pro. The A-bolt has a short bolt throw, they also float their barrels and glass-bed their stocks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There are a lot of nice bolt guns out there for $800 or less, if your not in a hurry, you may want to see if you can test some out if there are some here that are willing, and I'm sure there are, I would.