Help me choose my first wheel gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have 3 smiths from JGs, although used, they were a great buy at $230 a piece. GP 100 great revolver will last a lifetime and then some, to carry?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W J-frames are easy to carry and can be had for something around $400. My personal favorite is the 640, in .38 Spl. With the right grips for your hand, it can be controllable and reasonably accurate out to 15+ yards. 638's are good, as are 642's and 442's. J-frames are tough to shoot well beyond 15 yds, but don't take a bet out on that with someone who is proficient with his.

There have been good reports back on the DAO K-frames at J&G. If you can conceal a K-frame, they are certainly easier to shoot well over a J-frame.

Rugers are good, but heavy/big for caliber. Colts are nice, but usually too pricey compared to a S&W. Tarus QC concerns me. Rossi or Charter; not me!

Take someone who knows their revolvers along with you. Lots of things can be wrong with "the gun that never fails". Some can be fixed cheap, others, such as a stretched frame in a J-frame, cannot be fixed. The "carried often, shot seldom" revolver can be a great deal. Years ago a friend bought a Colt Agent with a little rust on the exterior. Cost him just a song. The chambers, barrel and guts of the gun were pristine. Turned into a great carry gun.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well as GED has said, your heading down a very dark hole, and I'm not one to put you off your fall!
When it comes to revolvers there is Smith&Wesson, and everyone else. Why? Well the K-framed S&W revolver has already passed its 100yr mark, and with exception to a few internal fixes, its still the same gun as its original. Its been manufactured in multiple calibers, different barrel lengths, has competed in every type of shooting sport, has armed police officers all over the world, has fought in our military, and other countries armed forces. It has served friend and foe. No other revolver in history has been produced in the numbers as the S&W K-frame, or as long. Not even the Colt SAA, as its production has been started and stopped numerous times. The K-frame has soldiered on through good and bad times. Even a used gun will still be honored by S&W warranty.

For a smaller gun the J-frame(All Steel)is one of the finest CCW guns around, or as a backup to your K-frame S&W. Its hard to beat a J-frame in .38spl for up close social encounter's!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom