Help me choose my first wheel gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofapizza

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking into purchasing my first wheel gun and I'm stumped all I know is that I would like to be able to carry but I would like to stay semi cheap with my first if possible any suggestions

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are a lot of options on the market. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but a used Smith and Wesson K-frame (like a model 10 or 64) can be had for anywhere from $200-$300. These will most likely be 4 inch barrels, and you may find it a little bit too big to conceal easily. There are also new and used S&W J-frame revolver that will be very easy to carry, and can run around $450. You may also think about Ruger's SP101; it will be a little bigger than a S&W J-frame, but it is a very good gun. This should run around $450 as well.

There are other options, and I am sure someone more versed in revolvers than me will come along to add to this discussion.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi SofaPizza,
That shouldn't be too hard. Tulsa gun show in October. Look for a used police/security guard S&W from the 70/80's. Bring a friend who knows what to look for, and don't get deterred by outside scratches, nicks and pits, as long as the mechanics are perfect...it actually just make the buy easier and cheaper.
If you have the $. Start out with a new S&W 642 and upgrade later, as you'll get more and more into it.
Jess

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally for a first.....I'd stay away from small frames till I had some experience. It's always seemed to me that even though a DA revolver is easy to learn (no safety, no slide, no magazine...pull and bang), the little ones are harder shoot well.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look around for a used Smith and Wesson 686 three inch barrel...you should be able to find one used for 450... It's small enough to carry...and big enough to get the job done...a great gun to learn about wheel guns on. You can shoot .357 through it all day without pain in the hand...and .38 and .38 +p feels like nothing out of this gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom