Help me identify these rifles...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These two rifles were given to me after sitting for 25 years (according to the friend who brought them to me). He is 82, and he is sure that he's had them at least 25 years and that he bought them as project guns, which I believe because both have brand new barrels.

One is an unknown caliber, and has no markings, but here are some pictures of the bolt and receiver:
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

The other seems to be the same receiver, but has been milled down and has a different barrel on it. Oh, by the way, did I mention that this one is labeled as .375 H&H??? Ouch!
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Obviously the one says Model 1917, and I am pretty sure the other is the same style, but has a different barrel.

Watchathink? :)

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "ouch" is not a good assumption. My .375 kicks about like a good 12 ga load with 300 grain bullets. Has to do with the .375 being a nearly straight walled case. Lots of energy, but spread over a little longer time than energy generated by a bottleneck case. Try it. You'll like it.

However, there are other factors. Weight of gun, stock geometry, etc., etc.

You will probably have to have a chamber cast and the bore slugged on the other one to determine caliber, though you might take the stock off and see if the barrel is stamped on the underside. Wouldn't be likely, but worth looking. I had a rifle that had a used barrel put on it before I got it, and the barrel headspaced properly with the stamp down. Some great gunsmith forgot to restamp it where you could see it. CB

Okiewhitetail

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good old eddystone 1917 actions. These were originally chambered in 303 but were rechambered during the 60's and 70's for target rifles. Ive seen a few in 300 h&h. Some were done right and the magazines will accept the round some are still 303 and the 300s wont fit. Nice looking guns from what i can see.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sound like pains then. :/

He wants me to fit them together, then finish them and take one for himself and pass one to me. Can't really turn him down though, he's been a friend for 20 years and I know he's doing it because he feels like he won't be around much longer (he's 82).

I wish I knew what caliber the other one was... .303 or .308 would be nice. Looks like 30'06 was the more popular conversion. I'll certainly cast it before I put much work into it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
p-17s were originally 30-06 and were popular conversions to belted mags.
p-14s were in 303 british and were popular conversions to 45-70

Reaction score
Legendary strength in those US 1917 actions. Gajillions were sporterized (unfortunately) in the 50s and 60s, and can be excellent sporting rifles, if a smidge heavy. Most that were sporterized were left with original bbl & chambering (.30-06), albeit sometimes shortened; though many were made into bigger boomers too (as mentioned and as the OP has in .375). These and Arisakas (pre-war & early war 38s and 99s) were some of the strongest actions ever made.

The US 1914 was very similar, but as mentioned, in .303 Brit.

The 1917s were made at Remington, Remington-Eddystone, and Winchester. They are quite valuable (>$500-$700) in unsporterized /original form, with Winchesters fetching around 10% more than Remingtons or Eddystones, but as always, depending upon condition. 1914s I believe are even a bit more valuable.

In all likelihood, the one is still .30-06, but chamber cast to be sure. Get a chamber cast kit from Brownells or take it to a 'smith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom