Help me pick please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice on using decent ammo that costs less so you can get more practice in. Then try some of the pricey stuff once you get good.

I will say this though, Lapua is generally considered the only brass you can load out of the box and get top performance out of for long range shooting. The rest of them you have to uniform flash holes and primer pocketa, turn the necks, weigh individually and separate by batch. Lapua brass is so consistent that you don't really have to do all that stuff. Just looking at it you can tell the difference between it and mere mortal brass. :)

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.grafs.com/product/266777
I've used that before - good for hunting and 300 yards.

I bought those from Major back then and gave some to my friend. They said those ammo good to go.

Good advice on using decent ammo that costs less so you can get more practice in. Then try some of the pricey stuff once you get good. I will say this though, Lapua is generally considered the only brass you can load out of the box and get top performance out of for long range shooting. The rest of them you have to uniform flash holes and primer pocketa, turn the necks, weigh individually and separate by batch. Lapua brass is so consistent that you don't really have to do all that stuff. Just looking at it you can tell the difference between it and mere mortal brass. :)

Lapua ammo is ridiculously high price, I'm going to shop around for .308 price and order them before summer.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like your trying to buy 500-600 yard ammo to only shoot 100yards
seems like a waste of money to me.
try something like winchester white box 147 gr. probably a lot cheaper and will work fine at the shorter ranges.

dont waste your money on the good stuff til you are good enough to use it. stick to bulk ammo

That sounds like good advice to me.......:Heya:

Good advice on using decent ammo that costs less so you can get more practice in. Then try some of the pricey stuff once you get good.

This is what I did. If you are interested, I have a little over 220 rounds of Prvi 145gr for sale in the Classifieds for $125. I am between OKC and Tulsa a lot. No pressure, but it is reloadable, and cheap. I am just shooting 168gr right now and have it sitting in my safe.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81031

PM me if interested, :D

Badley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest, if your just wanting some practice out to 100 yrds then shoot something that cost alot less than a 308. I have a little 17HMR that I shoot alot at 100 just for trigger time. Once you get breathing undercontrol, and trigger pull worked out, it really doesnt matter what your shooting, you will be able to get your groups together. As long as your gun can do its part. And usually the gun can shoot better than the shooter pulling the trigger.

I would also hold off on "stocking up" on ammo until you know what your gun shoots well. Before I started reloading I would buy several boxes of different types of ammo, run a couple of rounds down the tube and see how they grouped. Then once you find a good shooting load then stock up on that. Also the rounds your should buy depend on what type of shooting you are planning on. Are you paper shooting, or do you plan on using it for hunting. You wanna make sure that your getting a bullet that will perform for your intended purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom