help me with a new build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
picked this little jewel up at a pawn shop for a $100. they had 139 on it ,which was to cheap to start! i asked them what they would take. the owners were in the process of loading up for the gun show and said 100 bucks so they wouldn't have to load it up. no brainer, right?

so, i'm in the process of trying what to do with it. the thompson kit is way cool as is the M1 carbine setup. but i'm still kinda leaning to the sniper style and maybe a can later. what do you think?
ai977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_PB300116.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I want one like this:
10/22 Deluxe Sporter with the 16.5" Green Mountain fluted sporter barrel.

So you could take your $100 10/22, sell the stock and barrel, buy the GM barrel and a DSP stock...

But if I had found a 10/22 for $100, I'd probably remove the barrel band, smooth the fore end so you couldn't see where the band was, refinish the stock, add a scope base, and install a Primary Arms micro dot. Ultimate turtle/squirrel gun for about $225 finished.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's a GOOD buy. Way to go.

You'll probably build one and be looking for another one to build. That's what happened when I got my last one done.

By the way.....you want your money back?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I want one like this:
10/22 Deluxe Sporter with the 16.5" Green Mountain fluted sporter barrel.

So you could take your $100 10/22, sell the stock and barrel, buy the GM barrel and a DSP stock...

But if I had found a 10/22 for $100, I'd probably remove the barrel band, smooth the fore end so you couldn't see where the band was, refinish the stock, add a scope base, and install a Primary Arms micro dot. Ultimate turtle/squirrel gun for about $225 finished.

i like the idea of playing around with the original stock. don't know if i've ever seen one done. the one thing i know i'm going to do is have the stock trigger worked.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My wife's was done that way. Except she doesn't want the red dot, so I'll probably get her a peep sight rear.

If you're the handy type you can greatly improve the existing components, or you can buy new aftermarket bits. Her trigger was also worked over.

I had a bull .920'' barrel, and it was too heavy for my liking.

A little more $, but I would also like to do a tactical .22... With TacSol barrel and either the Boyds tacticool or the B&C target/varmint stock and upgraded internals.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i like the idea of playing around with the original stock. don't know if i've ever seen one done. the one thing i know i'm going to do is have the stock trigger worked.

Actually that stock with the metal buttplate is somewhat collectable, so I wouldn't do anything to it. Change out anything else you want on it, but leave the stock alone.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that stock with the metal buttplate is somewhat collectable, so I wouldn't do anything to it. Change out anything else you want on it, but leave the stock alone.

its a 2004 model. when did they go to the plastic?

Latest posts

Top Bottom