Help with browning BSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Lamb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just purchased a browning bss. It was made in japan. 12gauge 28" gold trigger in good condition. How can I tell what year it was made? What is the value. Any other info I should know about this gun please let me know. Your responses are appreciated.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Browning has the barrel date codes on their website. Off the top of my head, sxs shotguns of good quality like your browning aren't what most people are into. People like the cheap coach guns for western themed shits and giggles and people like, but can't afford the "bespoke" double guns of the ultra high end english variety. In summary, $400-$500

Chad Lamb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Browning has the barrel date codes on their website. Off the top of my head, sxs shotguns of good quality like your browning aren't what most people are into. People like the cheap coach guns for western themed shits and giggles and people like, but can't afford the "bespoke" double guns of the ultra high end english variety. In summary, $400-$500

Thanks for the info bob much appreciated.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In summary, $400-$500

Depending on condition, I'd say twice that. If its excellent, 95% or up, it'll go for around $1100 or more. Like BobBarker says though, you have to find someone interested in good doubles. Gunbroker will be the place to sell it, because locally there might only be a couple of people interested.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to agree with forindooruseonly as to the value, if original and unaltered. But if its a Sporter it could go higher and if it is a Sidelock model you can just about name your price! Also, depending on age, it could have a single selective or non-selective trigger; this will also make a difference in price to a knowledgeable buyer.

Here's some info from Browning's website...hope this helps...

BSS Side-By-Side Shotgun:

The production of the BSS side-by-side shotgun began in 1978. The Sidelock model was introduced in 1983. Production ceased in 1987.

To find your serial number, you will need to refer to your owner's manual. We have most owner's manuals online.
1978-1987 In 1975 Browning re-standardized its serial number identification. Browning ceased production on the BSS in 1987.

1. Serial Number
beginning with 01001
at the start of each year.

2. Date of Manufacture
is a two digit code :

Z=1
Y=2
X=3
W=4
V=5
T=6
R=7
P=8
N=9
M=0

3. BSS Type:
158=12 ga.Mag. 3"
168=20ga. Mag. 3"

Serial Number Example:
01001RP158

This would be an BSS 12 ga. Mag. 3",manufactured in 1978 with the serial number 01001.

Oh-ya...Let me know if you ever decide to sell it! ;)

Chad Lamb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. It turns out it was manufactured in 1980. It has the gold trigger for single selective trigger. I'm heading to range tomorrow to see how it does on some clays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom