Help with child support computation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Family member is a new father who is not married to the mother. He wants to be a part of the baby's life and plans on paying his support and getting visitation. He doesn't have much money and is asking if there is a place to get help with legal advice on how to determine support and visitation without having to pay thousands to an attorney. A paralegal who works for a family attorney or any where he can get information on how to determine the amount per the state forms?

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma DHS has a child support form on their website, That is what the court will use to figure it. What my lawyer used in my case anyway, its pretty simple to figure, The more days he can get for visitation the better in my opinion.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma DHS has a child support form on their website, That is what the court will use to figure it. What my lawyer used in my case anyway, its pretty simple to figure, The more days he can get for visitation the better in my opinion.
Consult a good attorney not just any of them or do it yourself. When I did it it came out way low. Sorry attorney way high. New attorney got it to a reasonable amount for what can actually be used. If in the Tulsa area I can recommend an awesome no bs attorney

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Family member is a new father who is not married to the mother. He wants to be a part of the baby's life and plans on paying his support and getting visitation. He doesn't have much money and is asking if there is a place to get help with legal advice on how to determine support and visitation without having to pay thousands to an attorney. A paralegal who works for a family attorney or any where he can get information on how to determine the amount per the state forms?
Especially get an attorney ASAP if she is uncooperative. I thought I didn't have the money. Its amazing where you find it when it comes to your child.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consult a good attorney not just any of them or do it yourself. When I did it it came out way low. Sorry attorney way high. New attorney got it to a reasonable amount for what can actually be used. If in the Tulsa area I can recommend an awesome no bs attorney

So did your attorney get the visitation, and thus the child support, more favorable? Or did he somehow compel the judge to deviate from the OK DHS prescribed formula?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Visitation and child support are seperate matters.

Not entirely. The support is theoretically to be calculated on a pro rata basis so that the child maintains the same standard of living at both households. IF the child is in one household for a large potion of the time, then the other party is to contribute a comparatively large amount since, again theoretically, the person who does not have the most visitation is not spending money on the child when they not at that home.

As your visitation increases, you spend more on the child while they are in your household, so you would be required to pay less to the other party in supprort. That's what the calculator ( http://www.okdhs.org/onlineservices/cscalc ) attempts to accomplish.

Now CUSTODY and and support are unrelated. But the support and visitation - the time they are in one's care - are connected matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom