Insurance help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never settle anything until you are happy. Settling the medical was a mistake.

Insurance commission is worthless.

Find a good attorney and file a civil lawsuit.

You have to sue the individual and their insurance will pay to defend.
I agree about the Insurance Commissioner

If you hadn’t settled the medical you could beat them over the head with that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not true, it doesn't matter if it's your company or theirs.

Being paid off has nothing to do with it unless it's a total loss.

Reading is Fundamental. Whether you like it or not, a lot of insurance companies now send payment directly who gave the quote. IF you want someone else OR you're trying to pocket the money, then read my post again.
USAA sent a $3600 check directly to me for damages on my paid off vehicle, - the $500 deductible for a $3800 estimate from my repair shop with a letter saying if the repair shop has an issue with USAA’s estimate, it will be settled between the shop and USAA. I’m out of it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of y'all wonder why insurance is so high yet want him to fake injuries or get an attorney.

It's a pretty simple process, you submit an estimate, they'll send payment to that shop. If you wanted a different shop, you get an estimate from there and the payment will be transfer. If the payment is less than the amount initially quoted, the shop sends in a supplemental. Typically it will get worked out between the two.

IF you're just trying to pocket the money, then again, call the insurance commissioner or take them to small claims court. If you submit it to YOUR company, they MIGHT do the same thing and pay the shop. Different companies have different methods of settlement. So that's an option, but beware you could run into the same scenario.
NEVER EVER fake an injury. Not only being illegal, it will cost you instead of costing them.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my experience is that is the way it works
if you want to fix your car let the shop fix it and they either take what they got or fight the insurance company
if you want cash you take what they offer this is the way it is with car or home insurance.
otherwise people scam the insurance companies by getting high bids on work - collecting money - then getting the work done for much smaller price
when you think about it that is the way it should be.
Call the insurance Commissioner Complaint number. File a written complaint. The insurance company paid the wrong party. That’s on them. What you describe seems to contain a couple “prohibited” acts by the insurance carrier under the Oklahoma Unfair Claim Settlement Practices rules and regulations. By the way, very few attorneys will take a property damage case, but if they do, your reasonable attorney fees will be tacked on top of the settlement amount. Good luck.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, It's one thing when dealing with my own carrier and another when dealing with someone else's. If someone else damages my property, they owe me for the damages. How or whether I choose to repair them shouldn't matter to them. I'd expect payment to me for the middle of 3 quotes from body shops.

What business is it of theirs how I handle the decreased value of my property?

May be hard to follow. Weird situation.

Bought Wif a new car, '95 Crown Vic. Had it less than a month. She was at red light, had just dropped kids at school, it was raining. Opposing light turned yellow, lady in a Suburban, speeding, slams on brakes, tries to make right turn to school and t-bones my car.

Po-po tickets Suburban driver. 2 witnesses, at light, behind Wif. Get witnesses names, insurance info from other driver.

Other driver was receptionist, at insurance agent, same agent we had been with for 12 years.

Called in claim, Farmers says to file on MY insurance, she said accident wasn't her fault. Gave my policy number and was told, "get a lawyer, good luck."

Went agent, he repeated, "get a lawyer, nothing he could do."

Hired a lawyer. He sent Wif to Dr and Chiropractor.
Tried to get rental car. Insurance refused, "because I wasn't reasonable or willing to work with them, since I hired a lawyer." Wif was doing outside sales, had to have a car. She averaged 1000+ miles per week

Called lawyer. Lawyer covered the rental and added to claim. Farmers demanded repair, would not total.
Took dealer 18 weeks to make repairs, mostly waiting on parts. Lawyer would only allow OEM parts, with proof, he approved storage fees..

Never a word from agent or Farmers, until repairs were completed.
1 hour after I picked up car, agent called on return of rental.
3 days after, insurance renewal, tripled in price. I had already found new insurance. Wrote KMA on invoice and sent back.

2 weeks later, Lawyer sent my settlement check, Paid invoice. Farmers paid everything.

Agent closed office and left town.

I have no idea what the total settlement was. I paid off car and had a little left. Rental was paid, plus excess miles. Lawyer was paid.

Figured i would have to trade in. Couldn't find any problems. Drove that car for 248k miles. Gave to daughter, she drove it 2 years. It was never in a shop, again.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won’t find an attorney for that low of an amount. File a small claims lawsuit against the driver, not the insurance company. They will likely not show to court and will settle or you will get a default judgment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom