Help, Yahoo redirect virus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife or I probably did something silly and this computer (Windows 7 laptop) ended up with a yahoo redirect in Firefox and I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of it. I ran Malwarebytes which didn't find anything plus the Anti-Adware from the same company. AntiAddware did find a couple items but didn't get rid of the redirect. Did a registry search and deleted anything I felt was safe that contained yahoo with no help. Internet says doing a factory reset of Firefox might fix it but would rather not do that if I can avoid it.

We are usually pretty careful and can usually recover with Windows Restore but this computer doesn't have any restore points earlier than when this happened. Any ideas or tips on how to kill the redirect?

Please do not bother telling me to upgrade to 10, not going to happen.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use another browser and see if the same thing happens. If it does there is likely a change made in the hosts file or your DNS server. Beyond that you will probably have to deal with some other stuff that you have said you are reluctant to do.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did check IE and it doesn't do the redirect. Guess I'll have to break down and do a FireFox reset.

Looks like the reset fixed it, thought I would loose everything but didn't. FireFox backed up all my data and restored it.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my Windows 10 every stinking time I get an upgrade I have to again make Chrome my default search engine and delete yahoooo and Bing. God I Hate Bing!
Go to settings, search engine, select your default, (Firefox) then manage engines, then delete all the others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To fix Windows 10 I have found 3 things that help a ton.

W10Privacy http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/w10privacy.html It's easier to download there because the German site is messed up.

Stop Resetting My Aps which fixes the windows update crap https://www.carifred.com/stop_resetting_my_apps/

And Open Shell https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

The first one kills all of the report to the MS overlord junk when set right. You can also kill Cortana's access to the internet, personally if I want to do a web search I am going to open a browser. Without doing that every thing you search is sent to the overlord's servers. The second one makes the apps you set as default stick. And the third one makes the start menu work right again and give you access to the control panel vs do 10 clicks through our BS and then get to it.

I know some browsers like to change search settings and add shortcuts when they update, that is on them and not MS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom