Helper for Wichita Mountain Controlled Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the great, and useful, advice.

Any advice on the best way to skin in order to save the most hide? Also, did you tan the hide yourself or take it somewhere?

If you get one and get it out in the trucks, they have a-frame's at the corrals to hang and skin.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get one and get it out in the trucks, they have a-frame's at the corrals to hang and skin.
According to the regs I don't believe there's going to be a way to get one "out" whole, unless you know something I don't. I assumed all the work needed to be done in the field and then brought out piece wise. You are not allowed to use any motorized devices or pack horses so not sure how you'd get it out in the truck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They drop the tailgate and it's all hands on deck to drag the field dressed carcass up into the bed.
We dragged 3 to the road on my cart and got them out that way. Be aware a standard deer cart won't work. I had the one cabellas sells rated for 500 lbs, then bought the tandem wheel kit to bump it up to 750lb. Still barely big enough.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They drop the tailgate and it's all hands on deck to drag the field dressed carcass up into the bed.
We dragged 3 to the road on my cart and got them out that way. Be aware a standard deer cart won't work. I had the one cabellas sells rated for 500 lbs, then bought the tandem wheel kit to bump it up to 750lb. Still barely big enough.
I'm not sure I can count on someone having a cart similar to yours when I'm there. I think the slogan, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst", works here. I'll be ready to clean and quarter in the field and bring it out piece by piece if necessary. If someone has a great cart like you did and we're close to the road that would be great, but I'll be sure to have the alternative plan ready also. Thanks for the input.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 3 hunts I have been involved in we were able to bring the bulls out just field dressed......that's unusual but it can happen.

Take a new plastic tarp with you, they are light and cheap. We were able to roll 2 different bulls onto tarps and drag them to where trucks could get to them. Even if you can't drag one out, the tarp is great to keep meat out of the dirt.

The guys are right about "deer carts", they are pretty much useless.......a plastic sled or toboggan is much more useful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom