here she is... my first one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
will do my best to recall everything that happened in a coherent manner. Went to the blue river wma friday afternoon. Got there in time to go out and scout the area i had found while hunting spring turkey. The place had changed a lot since then, but surprisingly little undergrowth, probably due to the fire about 3 years back. Grasses were perfect height, 4-5 feet, for the evening's scout/ still hunt. I saw lots of traces of activity so i decided to sit at the base of a tree, with good grass cover from several angles. I sat for about an hour, then decided to snoop around a bit more. As i was turning to get up... i saw a doe, she had snuck in behind me and was staring right at me, at about 15~20yrds. I quickly realized she hadn't made me, probably because the sun was in her eyes. I sat still for probably 15 mins before she relaxed and continued feeding. I was able to get my legs under me and turn, but she had moved out of range. Since I was hoping to come back in the morning, I decided not to stalk. I enjoyed the past events for a few minutes, then started the ~mile walk back to the car. The next morning I was up in a tree not far from where i was the evening before. Nothing but crows and squirrels until 8:40am, when i saw two does directly in front of me. Three more were right behind them, and along side them was a little lady who probably lost her spots not long ago. They grazed as they walked right toward me. At 8:50, the front two does were ~15 yards from me, but the others were still too far out. I picked out the one I thought was bigger, drew, and hit. I waited 30 mins and found her ~40 yrs away.
Cleaned her and realized she must weigh 80-90 lbs (not sure how accurate my guess was).
Adrenaline was still rushing through me, so i got her on my back and started walking. By the time I could see the truck, I was ready to fall over, but ended up getting there somehow.

Thanks for reading bout my first deer, which is also my first trad kill.
here she is
photo-6.jpg

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
thats awesome man! the first deer is always a thrill,btw, it never goes away! great story and i bet you'll have another in the freezer by the end of the season

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all
I will certainly never forget this experience. Ive been practicing for two years now, and went empty handed all of last year.
I am currently shooting a Black Widow KB 58 inch 53# @ 28, here is a picture of the riser, and one of the limbs. Currently I don't use the shown quiver.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom