Hi Point 9mm Carbine advice and rec's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought a 9mm Carbine from an individual this weekend. Super cheap cause the gun has two problems 1) all kinds of wear and 2)the action was hard to pull all the way back and was sticking in the middle.

So I called Hi Point customer service today and they said that my issue is a bent firing pin. Solution? They are mailing me a new kit along with the instruction sheet to install it at zero cost. Holy crap sickles Batman, that made my Monday.

So on to the first issue, all kinds of wear and tear. Whatever blue was on the metal parts has been mostly rubbed off and there are a couple of spots of rust. My intent from the get go on this gun was to do my first dipping/coating/painting and do it on a neat little gun that cost me next to nothing.

It has an ATI stock on it that is in good shape.

So what is the best on this type of gun? Cerakote? Painting? Other coats?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a two tone look of FDE and black or do a camo coat or what. I've never done such a project and I've just started researching so I don't even know all the possibilities.

Any suggestions/recommendations/hint/help would be greatly appreciated from the community.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Krylon Fusion is surprisingly durable provided the gun won't be rolling around behind your seats.

For the metal, VHT caliper paint is a good option... but you'll need to bake it in the oven.

If the oven is no-go, vht also makes a solid epoxy paint in rattle can. It won't stand up to brake cleaner when you clean, but it's good cheap paint.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this so cheap I'm not really concerned about paying a little bit to mess with it. It will likely never leave my posession as I tend to only increase my gun collection and never trade away or sell.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one of those, and to the previous owners defense, the coatings were not top notch from the factory. I work at a place that does zinc plating, and one of the colors of zinc we do is black. It looks pretty close to gun blueing, but has a little iridescence to it. Just another thought. I don't think you can hurt the value of it. I have an older version and I put the updated style stock on mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom