High Pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reloaded some .308 with 42.0 grains of Ramshot Tac (under the max by quite a bit) and 168gr SMKs. Trim length was 2.005" and OAL was approximately 2.800 (spread from 2.792 to 2.803, typically 2.800 +/- .002"). The loads don't feel hot, but they do require a little more force to turn the bolt than I am used to. They fire beautifully however. This is for a 5R Remington 700 20". I had loaded some rounds last week with the same dimensions ranging from 41 to 42.25 grains of TAC, but forgot to check the primers after. I did notice that at least some of the primers looked similar (I deprimed the rest before looking, bone-head move, I know).

Is this cratering a sign of over-pressure? I'm still pretty new to reloading, but don't see much else that points to pressure. There are a few scratches on the cases from chambering, but not much else as you can see from the pictures. 20140126_194346.jpg20140126_194352.jpg20140126_194433.jpg20140126_194426.jpg

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is more of a "problem" with your rifle than the loads. There is simply some slop between the bolt face and firing pin channel, ie the channel is slightly oversized, that allows some of the primer to flow in this area. Don't worry too much about it.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primer doesn't look flattened, so don't think that's a pressure sign. I've heard that a lot of Remmys have a firing pin hole that's enough larger than the pin that they'll crater to some extent regardless of the load. Easy way to check is see if you have the same thing with factory loads - if it happens with their loads don't worry too much about it happening with yours unless there are other signs of pressure to match. Some primers are also softer than others - believe Federal is about the softest, then Winchester, Remington, and CCI in that order.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis hit the nail on the head, primers are rounded, not showing pressure signs, the crater is from the oversize firing pin hole. You may experience blown primers with max loads if you should happen to choose a soft primer. The large rifle primers for 7.62X51 by CCI are thicker primers designed for that round, and would be a good choice with that bolt. Enjoy your loading..

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was hoping/thinking it wasn't pressure since it was doing it to every round, had me worried about a headspacing issue or something. I am currently using CCI #200 primers as I like the hardness of CCI in general. I will have to look for the 762x51 primers just for the extra insurance.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it shoots good with the cci 200 i would not worry what they look like when they look like yours.

You should see some of my federal 210M fired from my .308
You could try the cci #34 I want to say that is the toughest one they make.
I would put money they will look exactly the same.

Use what shoots best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom