HK opinions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20fan83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have teh hkp2000sk in the .40.nice pistol just dont like the da only trigger it has.other then that hk is a great weapon and i would liek to add a usp or 2 in the future

brand0n

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a HK p2000 w/ lem trigger and hated it. I've shot many and they just aren't for me. I'm not a HK fan at all, but I do want to shoot the p7. I have heard great things from everyone that has one.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a HK p2000 w/ lem trigger and hated it. I've shot many and they just aren't for me. I'm not a HK fan at all, but I do want to shoot the p7. I have heard great things from everyone that has one.

If you shoot a couple hunderd rounds of ammo thru a P7, you'll want one, guaranteed. Not the easiest pistol to get used to, but if you shoot it enough, you'll understand why there is a website called "The Cult of the P7."

brand0n

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you shoot a couple hunderd rounds of ammo thru a P7, you'll want one, guaranteed. Not the easiest pistol to get used to, but if you shoot it enough, you'll understand why there is a website called "The Cult of the P7."

Lol, that's what I'm afraid of. Need one like a hole in the head.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got an HK USP 40c in a trade. Can't wait to take it out to the range. I had a choice between it or a Sig p220. If I was only concerned about trading "up" for value with another trade in mind later down the road, I probably would have taken the Sig (higher trade value.) However, I never owned an HK and thought this would be a good opportunity. I've always passed HK's off as overrated, overpriced, bulky, and generally not a fan of DA/SA guns.

With that said, after an evening of dry firing and doing dry drills, I'm really warming up to it. Even dry firing, the double action is very manageable and I'm able to draw, aim and pull the trigger without jerking. The same could not be said with something like a Beretta 92fs. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with that gun, rofl. The single action is light and crisp, although the trigger does seem to "flex" so it's not as crisp and nice as a Sig single action trigger. However, being able to carry it cocked and locked like a 1911 scores huuuge points with me.

The mag release doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would have. I think the single action trigger reset could be a lot better. It's a bit farther than I would like it. I think the trigger reset on Sigs are better. I am a bit of a reset snob though. I like short resets that can be felt and audibly heard, as well. It's my biggest gripe with XD's, XDm's (trigger reset is miles long) and M&P's (mushy break, reset is virtually invisible and hard to feel or hear). Walther PPQ's probably have the best resets for combat polymer pistols and one of the best for handguns in general besides tuned 1911's.

Overall, I think I'm really going to like this. I may have to eat my words about HK's hehehe. I'm a die hard Glock guy when it comes to polymer guns. A bit of range time will tell if my gut feelings are correct about this gun... but this may shockingly end up being a keeper for me. Now if only the stupid rail wasn't proprietary...

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick update. Went out to the range out near Banner Road today to give the HK USP a quick test drive. It took me a few mags to finally get a grip that I was accurate and comfortable with. Most people complain about how when they hold Glocks in a natural position, the gun points up due to the steep grip angle. For me it was the same, but opposite with the HK. Holding the gun in my usual stance, I couldn't see the front sight. The barrel was pointing down when I held it in my natural grip. I guess all those years on a Glock has my hands naturally pointing with the Glock grip angle, heh.

After adjusting my grip to accommodate a more vertical grip angle on the HK, I finally was able to get used to pointing the gun from a low ready position on target. Took me about 10 minutes to "unlearn" my Glock grip to get used to the HK grip. Confident that I'm now ready to squeeze off shots, I fire off a mag. Much to my dismay, all my shots were low. Embarrassingly way low. Like from 7 yards out, all of my shots were about 6" + low. I must have tried 20 different grips and every time my shots were low. Finally went back to a high, thumbs forward grip and really torqued my support hand under the trigger guard to apply pressure upwards and now my shots were only about an inch low. I loaded my Glock 23 as a B test to make sure it wasn't just me having a bad day, and I was making 1 ragged hole through the bullseye at 7 yards with the Glock. Hmmmm.

After putting more mags through the HK, I started to get a better. It seemed like a lot of work and concentration to get my shots on target and not 6" low, however. Another thing I've come to realize is that I like the baseball bat Glock grip. Lots of room for my support hand. With smaller broomstick type grips, my support hand has a hard time finding space to grip on to that's not crushing down on my fingers and my thumbs get in the way of my trigger finger, unless I go with a high - thumbs forward grip. Also, I've noticed that after extended shooting, the fingertip of the trigger finger can get a little sore from smacking the bottom corner of the trigger guard and mag release. You can really feel it after shooting it in double action. It forced me to shoot with more of my finger tip the more I shot the gun, because it was getting so sore.

Overall, it seemed like a good shooter. I need more practice with it for it to be a carry piece for me.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It took HKs to get me to carry something other than SIGs, and to like something other than all metal guns. This replaced my SIG P239 DAK for occasional carry. It's smaller, lighter, fits my hand better and carries more rounds. HK P2000sk LEM.

[Broken External Image]

This replaced my P220 as primary carry. Again, smaller, lighter and fits my hand better. Carries very comfortably in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. HK45c LEM.

[Broken External Image]

I still have my P220 but it mostly sits in the safe. I do have a P229 as a house gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom