Hog Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowahunter08

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, turns out my brother in law has familiy in OK so we have a 1000 acres of privet ground to go hog hunting. I just had a few questions. Still not for sure where in Ok this ground is yet. We are taking some of our deer stands down with us, and are hunting March 5th through the 9th
1. Do we need hunting license on private ground?
2. Can we hunt with the spot light?
3. Can we put corn out?
4. Is March 5th to late?
5. Anything else anyone might know to help us out? There are 7 of us, can we push hogs to standers like we do deer up here?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, turns out my brother in law has familiy in OK so we have a 1000 acres of privet ground to go hog hunting. I just had a few questions. Still not for sure where in Ok this ground is yet. We are taking some of our deer stands down with us, and are hunting March 5th through the 9th
1. Do we need hunting license on private ground?
2. Can we hunt with the spot light?
3. Can we put corn out?
4. Is March 5th to late?
5. Anything else anyone might know to help us out? There are 7 of us, can we push hogs to standers like we do deer up here?

1. Do we need hunting license on private ground? - No
2. Can we hunt with the spot light? - Not without permit. One can be obtained from the ODWC but I "think" you can only put 4 people on the permit. I believe they ask for license #'s to put everyone involved on the permit, so not sure how that would work with nonresidents... may be out of luck there.
3. Can we put corn out? - Yes
4. Is March 5th to late? - Never too late. You can hunt hogs year round.
5. Anything else anyone might know to help us out? There are 7 of us, can we push hogs to standers like we do deer up here? - If you've got 7 people, I think a drive could be effective, especially going through the thick stuff that hogs like. Play the wind just like you would with deer, have blockers down wind. And of course, be safe if you are doing a drive... a little orange would never hurt.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to have scouted the area to make a drive work and know some of the terrain features that would work to your benefit. A thick creek bottom is a good place to drive. It will be tough hunting coming in without knowing the area. Hogs move around alot and unless someone is feeding them for you to keep them in the area, they may not even be on the place you have access to when you are there. Good luck. Also, better read the hunting regs. I am not sure about that no license requirement but r00s could be right. It would sure be expensive if he isn't though.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Private Lands

Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.

The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

I looked it up when I wrote that just to be sure.... I think we should make nonresidents buy a hunting license, regardless. Especially them damn Texans. :)

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just found out we are going somewhere near Potou Oklahoma. Anyone know much about the area, should we do ok or are we wasting our time?

Poteau, OK. That's over in the east in LeFlore county. If you've got 1000 acres and hogs in the area, its atleast worth a shot. Too bad you couldn't scout it out and get some corn out about now. No telling what you might run into in that area,...hogs, bears, pot farmers..

Just listen for Banjo music cause you're getting pretty close to Arkansas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom