Hogs and handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy was asking me what kind of bullet should he use on a hog. I said I thought something that had good penetration. Who has killed a hog or hogs with a handgun and what ammo did you use? Would like to hear from some hog handgun hunters for ammo advice.

N

Noah.stephens

Well my friend used either a 7or 9 mm I can't remember, but anyway he used it to shoot a baby once and it took like 7 shots, I would think u need something pretty big. For the larger sized ones

M

Matt Basterson

i shot some leverevolution (sp?) 44 mags outa my super blackhawk. after i saw what they did to some watermelons, i wouldn't be afraid to try some of those.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad once was going to shoot a domestic hog to butcher, he always kept 38s in his 357mag. 5 shots in the head later and this hog is running around like a crazed bull. luckily he had brought a box of the magnums, one more shot in the head and the hog is dead. Therefore I would use nothing less than a 357 mag.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have been with a fellow hunter who used these 370 grainers out of a .454 Casull Freedom Arms. It was a high shoulder shot over a feeder at 20-30y on 150lb hog, complete pass thru and fell within 30yards.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/212...views/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

Not sure where your friend lives or what caliber he's shooting, but I've got almost a full box of these .452 370gr LBTGC's if he wants to try some out, let me know. Don't have a Casull or a .45 anymore:)

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As always bullet placement is the key. Anybody that has hunted hogs with a pistol, or bow should know about the gristle plate that covers the area where we would shoot a deer. Right behind the shoulder. Hog vitals are lower and further foward than a deer.
On a hog bow hunt on the Blue River a couple of years ago, the landowner told the story of a guy that hit a 200 pounder behind the shoulder with 3 shots from a .44 mag HP factory round, and a fourth was a gut shot. He had a tracking dog to locate the hog. He finished it with a single shot to the head with a .223. When field dressing, they found the three shots just under the skin that had been captured by the gristle plate, perfectly mushroomed, but not fatal.

My one and only experience, was shooting one with the O6, and getting a spine shot, taking out the back legs. It was still trying to get to me, so I shot it with a handloaded 240 grain Sierra HP, and a max load of H110. As it was face-on, I was trying for a brain shot, but at the last moment it turned its head. Second shot was true, so it was over. The first shot travelled the full length of the pig, lodging under the skin in the hindquarter, perfectly mushroomed. I still have that bullet on my desk at work.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As always bullet placement is the key. Anybody that has hunted hogs with a pistol, or bow should know about the gristle plate that covers the area where we would shoot a deer. Right behind the shoulder. Hog vitals are lower and further foward than a deer.
On a hog bow hunt on the Blue River a couple of years ago, the landowner told the story of a guy that hit a 200 pounder behind the shoulder with 3 shots from a .44 mag HP factory round, and a fourth was a gut shot. He had a tracking dog to locate the hog. He finished it with a single shot to the head with a .223. When field dressing, they found the three shots just under the skin that had been captured by the gristle plate, perfectly mushroomed, but not fatal.

My one and only experience, was shooting one with the O6, and getting a spine shot, taking out the back legs. It was still trying to get to me, so I shot it with a handloaded 240 grain Sierra HP, and a max load of H110. As it was face-on, I was trying for a brain shot, but at the last moment it turned its head. Second shot was true, so it was over. The first shot travelled the full length of the pig, lodging under the skin in the hindquarter, perfectly mushroomed. I still have that bullet on my desk at work.

You Work??????

at other things beside hunting or preparing to hunt.

Just kidding because we all have to have day jobs to keep up our habits, just have not seen you mention a job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom