Brush Hogging Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bush hogs aren't lawn mowers and won't cut like one. They're meant to cut weeds and underbrush along with grass. To get a smooth looking cut you'll have to do it several times, usually in different directions.
I‘ve mowed my yard with a 6’ finish mower (Rhino first and now Land Pride) on a Kubota 30 hp tractor for 24 years.
There are bush hogs with blade tip speeds high enough to cut like finish mowers, but they just can’t cut as low. I‘ve been through a lot of bush hogs over the years, and my current Land Pride 3696 8’ is the best I’ve ever had (and most expensive).
Unless they’ve upped their game, I wouldn’t consider buying a Rhino or a Bush hog brand, because I’ve had both that cut like crap. I have a 20 year old Woods 6’ Brush Bull at my place up there, and it’s the best cutting 6’ mower I’ve ever used.
IMG_2020.jpeg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally if it was me and all i was doing was mowing grass and the land was fairly smooth i think i would go with a flail mower and a one that could be offset, i know they are a higher cost than some brush hogs but then i havent had as much experience with a flail has i have with a brush hog so i may be wrong in my assumption.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walk your pasture before hand. Doe’s are dropping fawns this time of year. In the 25 years we’ve owned this property I’ve mowed over 2 fawns and it makes me heartbroken. I try to wait till later in the season.
I hit a fawn about 20 years ago behind my parent’s house, and this time of the year, I walk an area out before mowing.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I've been on our place for over a year and had one season of brush hogging our pasturesI have a question.

Going to mow our pastures this weekend. Last year when I did it I set the brush hog nearly on the ground and went at it. The grass averaged about 18"-24" high. It left a ton of cutting. It didn't bother me much but still looks a bit halfassed. My question is this. The pasture now is every bit of 24" high or taller in a lot of areas. Does it make sense to keep the mower maybe 6-10" off the ground and jsut have to mow it again sooner? THe answer is probably all about personal preference and time alocated to the task but wanted to ask those that have been around this sort of thing much longer than I. What say you.
We no longer use our pasture, and i'm getting old, fat and lazy, so I just let a neighbor bail it, twice a year, then I go behind him and get the spots he can't. This is much better for the grass, because it cleans all the obstructions off and allows sun light to get in, plus it's much less work for the old fart!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘ve mowed my yard with a 6’ finish mower (Rhino first and now Land Pride) on a Kubota 30 hp tractor for 24 years.
There are bush hogs with blade tip speeds high enough to cut like finish mowers, but they just can’t cut as low. I‘ve been through a lot of bush hogs over the years, and my current Land Pride 3696 8’ is the best I’ve ever had (and most expensive).
Unless they’ve upped their game, I wouldn’t consider buying a Rhino or a Bush hog brand, because I’ve had both that cut like crap. I have a 20 year old Woods 6’ Brush Bull at my place up there, and it’s the best cutting 6’ mower I’ve ever used.
View attachment 380122

I bought this 60" Rhino brush mower last year before the season and have been happy with it so far. That being said, I'm no expert and have nothing to compare it to. Seems very well built. Cuts everything I've run over so far.

Kubota.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom