Home Defense issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.. since I'm new to all this, I've been thinking a great deal about the safety of my home. My kids are both in college and basically out of the house. It is just me and my wife most of the time and often she is home alone for long periods of time at night. I often work at night.

She is careless about security, but that is another subject.

I know I need to get a shotgun for home defense. It is on the list and will happen eventually. The problem I see is having it where I need it.

How do you guys have a weapon at hand everywhere you are in the house? I can't see me carrying a gun around the house... I know some do this.. but probably not in the cards here.

I also can't see carrying the shot gun from room to room either. Sure, I could have it available in our bedroom at night, but if we were invaded at a time when we are in our living room or kitchen, there is no way on earth I could get to it. Bedroom is way down a hallway and the front and back doors are between where we usually are and that hallway. I'm not going to be one to leave a loaded gun out on the table next to my recliner. Perhaps I need to consider that?

Looking for solutions and what I need to work on.

Thanks

B

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.. since I'm new to all this, I've been thinking a great deal about the safety of my home. My kids are both in college and basically out of the house. It is just me and my wife most of the time and often she is home alone for long periods of time at night. I often work at night.

She is careless about security, but that is another subject.

I know I need to get a shotgun for home defense. It is on the list and will happen eventually. The problem I see is having it where I need it.

How do you guys have a weapon at hand everywhere you are in the house? I can't see me carrying a gun around the house... I know some do this.. but probably not in the cards here.

I also can't see carrying the shot gun from room to room either. Sure, I could have it available in our bedroom at night, but if we were invaded at a time when we are in our living room or kitchen, there is no way on earth I could get to it. Bedroom is way down a hallway and the front and back doors are between where we usually are and that hallway. I'm not going to be one to leave a loaded gun out on the table next to my recliner. Perhaps I need to consider that?

Looking for solutions and what I need to work on.

Thanks

B

Well, since home invasions don't get scheduled for when you are near your gun, there's only a couple options.

Option 1: Get a gun for each room of the house that you are in for any length of time. (if not every room, have a few that are quick and easy to get to)

Option 2: Get a reliable handgun to carry room to room. You don't have to carry it on your person, but have it setting within arm's reach. When you get up and move to another room, take it with you. The handgun will be for "fighting your way to the rifle/shotgun".

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure to consider overall security, not just armed defense.

Make sure doors get locked, and that the locks are solid and installed properly. Lock windows, and maybe consider designing your yard to make it difficult to reach them (bushes in front of 'em n whatnot).

If you have old cell phones, keep them charged, and keep one in every room. Even if it's not activated with a network, it can still be used to call 911 at any time. Keep some form of weapon in each room as well, this doesn't neccessarily mean a gun or knife, obviously, but a bat or even a yard-stick is always nice.

If you have a security system, don't leave the sign out front "This home protected by Brinks", etc. as it tips off intruders as to the type of system and make it easier to evade.

Get your wife to help you plan out your security, she needs to be thinking about things, as the only real way to stay secure is to be consistently thinking on it.

I'm sure you've already thought about these things, but I figured I'd throw out a few ideas just in case. ;)

308shooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Instead of having a gun in every room. I have metal batons or a wooden stick with duck tape as a grip. You don't have to shoot someone to beat the crap out of them.

I don't keep a gun in every room becuase

1 they could find the gun and use it agenst you in the robbery of your house. Which would suck to be robbed by your own shotgun.

2 if somebody broke in when no one is home and finds all your guns and walks out with them. Then your screwed bc you have no protection.

I personaly only have two guns that are out and ready to use. My ar15 and my Remington 1100 12g semi auto. It's a great shotgun. Ex for theveoman becuase all she has to do is sqweez the trigger andnot think about cocking it everytime and get confused. "you know how some girls are".
My ccw is on my nightstand with a tac light on it so I can see.

What's the point of having a gun if you can't see what your shooting at right !

Make sure you get a light for your home defense weapon that has more than 100 lumes. It will be bright enough to blind any man.

I hope I kinda helped you out. Good luck with everything godbless

oh and make sure you take your wife to the range with you so she feels comfortable with the weapon.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical security. It doesn't have to hold up forever, but you want doors and windows to give you enough time to recognize there is an imminent threat and give you a chance to react to it. Having a handgun on your hip isn't useful if you'll just be slack jawed when someone kicks your door in with one attempt.

I'm not a professional and I'm sure more will be along to add suggestions for you.

308shooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OH and
I forgot anything can be used as a weapon just not a gun. A tv remote car keys (stab someone) get creative it's kinda fun to see what all you can turn into something deadly if the need arises. Pm me if you need any help with anything.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical security. It doesn't have to hold up forever, but you want doors and windows to give you enough time to recognize there is an imminent threat and give you a chance to react to it. Having a handgun on your hip isn't useful if you'll just be slack jawed when someone kicks your door in with one attempt.

I'm not a professional and I'm sure more will be along to add suggestions for you.

Good point. Need to make sure you make it as hard as possible for someone to get it, but not impossible/difficult to get out in case of a fire or something.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. Need to make sure you make it as hard as possible for someone to get it, but not impossible/difficult to get out in case of a fire or something.

afarm2.static.flickr.com_1062_1189420522_797411e95b.jpg

Nah, go with this door. It works well for me, in my bunker.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
home invasions usually follow two scenarios.
either 3am break-in with 2-3 masked and armed
or they will knock on the door, then strongarm when you answer.

340PD lives in my pocket .. it's so light .. most times I forget it's there
shotty is always out and handy

will always know who's there before opening door

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your post I see alot of "I can't see this" and "I'm not going to's" To properly improve your personal protection (besides all the physical securities which I agree with) you must be WILLING to change the way you think about "having a gun in every room" and having a loaded gun by your recliner. A gun where you're sitting is most covenient, if your family is secure then you don't even have to get up!

Latest posts

Top Bottom