Home made Salsa recipes - who's got a good one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tripple S (Smokey,Sweet&Spicy) Salsa Recipe

1 - 28oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained

1 - medium yellow onion, diced

1 - bunch cilantro, chopped

2-3 - Jalapenos, chopped

1 - 7oz can San Marcos chipotle sauce

1T of brown sugar

1T liquid hickory smoke

Juice from one lime

Mix, let set at room temp for an hour...then chill...then enjoy

Sooonerbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is mine, it takes about an hour and a half to complete

7 firm medium tomatoes -- cold
1 small jalapeño or 1 chipotle pepper
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup water (optional)
1 lime, juiced
1 white onion, diced
2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
1-2 cups of chipped cherry wood

Soak cherry wood in water for one hour prior to placing tomatoes on the grill. Preheat grill to around 400 degrees. Add cherry wood to burning coals. Place 6 of the tomatoes and jalapeño, stem side down (remove any stems), directly on the grill. Allow the tomatoes to roast over the flame for 20 to 30 minutes. When the tomatoes and jalapeño are charred on the first side, carefully flip them over and continue to grill for another 20 to 30 minutes until most of the surface of each tomato is black. The jalapeño skin will blacken like the tomatoes.

Take the tomatoes and pepper off the grill and put them in a large bowl to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Dump the tomatoes and pepper and any liquid in the bowl into a blender. Add a clove of garlic and the salt and blend on high speed until pureed. Add water and lime juice and blend again on high speed for 30 to 45 seconds. As the blackened bits of tomato are chopped finer, the sauce will darken. Pour the mixture into a bowl. Dice the remaining tomato and add it to the salsa. Add the onion and cilantro, then cool the mixture in the refrigerator.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont disclose my entire recipe, because I don't even know what it is. I play it by ear. Martin Buber said that each man must come out of his exile in his own way. In other words, easy on the cilantro.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cant tell you exact amounts cause I just follow the chi of the ingredients... but

about 2 cups Tomatoes
about 1/2- 1 cup Onion
Little Garlic (maybe a clove)
Jalapeno (1-2)
dash of ground cumin
salt

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everywhere you see the word Jalapeno substitute the word Serrano. Are you making salsa or what? Are you axing a bunch of Okies for advise?
Okies? I mean really. And Whitey isn't even a real Okie. He's from one of those places way up north. Really? I mean really.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everywhere you se the word Jalapeno substitute the word Serrano. Are you making salsa or what? Are you axing a bunch of Okies for advise?
Okies? I mean really. And Whitey isn't even a real Okie. He's from one of those places way up north. Really? I mean really.
Actually I will agree about the serranos, but I can only put those in when they done growed up in my garden. But I do use them.

I also will put scotch bonnets in there from time to time, but them type of recipes arent really for the regular folks. Some people dont take to well to gittin burnt twice.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just have to make yourself brave and dive into them peppers. A man with a weak heart and a doubt in his mind hadn't got no bissness eatin "SALSA" in the first place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom