Homebrewers. Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been trying to get into home-brew. I really want to make a mead, are there any stores around OKC than I can get some ingredient/supplies?

36th and Pennsylvania, The Brew Shop. But before you even start looking at buying gear, I suggest looking up How to Brew by Palmer. You can buy it physically or it is available online for free. At least read through the 1st chapter which is a "I know you want to get started, so here it is quick".

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
<-- This guy homebrews. If you're not in Tulsa you can still order supplies from High Gravity. Dave and Desiree are terrific folks and will answer all your questions.

skyhigh60699

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greenbeetle is right about high gravity. Great folks. Nice job on the all grain. I haven't built up the courage to go all grain yet. Great hobby though. Love it. My latest are Autumn amber ale, pumpkin ale, and Amarillo pale ale. All Midwest kits.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just brewed an imperial Irish Red today. OG was 1.095 and the thing didnt take anytime at all to start pushing CO2.

I also got a little frisky this past week. Started a 1GAL "sample" size of melomel/blackberry mead... Then the redneck kicked in. 1 quart of Welches no preservative grape juice + 1 cup of sugar + 1 packet of fleschman's bread yeast = Hooch/Concord Wine!

Thomas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't built up the courage to go all grain yet. Great hobby though.

I would advise against going all grain. While it is the "holy mecca" of brewing, it also takes a 6 hour fun brew cycle that you know to 8 hours of work. Maybe my experience would have been better if I had seen it done a few times first. Ruined me from brewing (well, that and kids.)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would advise against going all grain. While it is the "holy mecca" of brewing, it also takes a 6 hour fun brew cycle that you know to 8 hours of work. Maybe my experience would have been better if I had seen it done a few times first. Ruined me from brewing (well, that and kids.)

I do AG when I have a good weekend to do it on... I dont think it has ever taken me that long to brew. Mashing in and out shouldnt take that long, and the rest of the process is pretty quick. What the heck took 6-8 hours?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is my "Fenian Irish Stout" that I came up with recipe for. The pour and color is exactly like Guinness Extra Stout, and the taste is like Guinness Draught with medium notes of the roasted barley.

I expected a good recipe to come out of several test batches with slight alterations to the grains and hops used, but I can say this will full confidence... this stout is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been trying to get into home-brew. I really want to make a mead, are there any stores around OKC than I can get some ingredient/supplies?
I go to Learn to Brew in Moore. Chris, the owner, is very knowledgeable, and passionate about not just brewing, but in sharing what he knows.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whitey, I LOVE mead and have always wanted to brew some. I may be hitting you up for tips in the future. Also, if you have any of that stout left... :drink:

Latest posts

Top Bottom