Homebrewers. Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just racked my first brew ever (a JAOM mead) to a clean carboy last night. Had a *really* strong smell. . .which i guess is sorta normal. Now I'll wait 6-8 months and see what happens.

Got the 2nd batch bubbling away now. . .and now that I have an empty carboy, I'll have to figure out something to put in it.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, since neither of us consume adult beverages.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a yuengling lager clone that is ready to be kegged and a light cream ale i used a lager yeast with to see what it would taste like that can be kegged now or wait another few weeks.
<edit> Both are all grain recipes, its not as hard as it sounds to go all grain BIAB.(brew in a bag)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have screwed up and have 5 empty keys sitting in my keezer and the only thing I have in fermentation is a Cab Sav wine I started less than a week ago.

I do however have all my grains for my personal Rye Pale Ale, my Flaming A$$ Ale (chili beer), a sparkling aussie, and a wild inoculation belgian. Thinking of doing the belgian and rpa this weekend.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just looking around I may only be $150 away from putting a batch together. That 4wk wait would be something.
The benefit of kegging is no bottle conditioning. Turn your pressure up to about 25psi and let it sit there for about 24-36 hours. Then throttle it back to serving pressure. Time frame can vary depending on style of beer and amount of desired carbonation.

For sanitizer... I started off with bleach in water. I never bough star-san or any of that mess. Now I use Iodine. I use what they call a "lethal" does which just means I have to rinse everything. But even a lethal does is like one cap full to 1 1 liter squirt bottle.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The benefit of kegging is no bottle conditioning. Turn your pressure up to about 25psi and let it sit there for about 24-36 hours. Then throttle it back to serving pressure. Time frame can vary depending on style of beer and amount of desired carbonation.

For sanitizer... I started off with bleach in water. I never bough star-san or any of that mess. Now I use Iodine. I use what they call a "lethal" does which just means I have to rinse everything. But even a lethal does is like one cap full to 1 1 liter squirt bottle.

Starsan is worth it. You don't need to make 5 gal to clean a keg. I use about a quart to sanitize everything and I bought the big bottle for like $15 from learn to brew in Moore.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still dont find it worth the money. I have been brewing for quite some time... I can find iodide for a hell of a lot cheaper than star san.

Obviously, with most things, it about what you are comfortable with. I like iodide cause I can use it in a squirt bottle. I can make a squirt bottle that only took a cap full last a year with the same sanitizing power as starsan, bleach or hydroxy clean.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still dont find it worth the money. I have been brewing for quite some time... I can find iodide for a hell of a lot cheaper than star san.

Obviously, with most things, it about what you are comfortable with. I like iodide cause I can use it in a squirt bottle. I can make a squirt bottle that only took a cap full last a year with the same sanitizing power as starsan, bleach or hydroxy clean.

I use 1/4 tsp to a quart in my spray bottle, but as you said it's best to stick to what your comfortable with. You give 10 guys grain and you will have 10 different beers.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Going to be getting my own place soon, so I think it might be a good time to start getting some gear. Probably try a mead first, then get into working with beers.... And other stuff.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Latest posts

Top Bottom