Homebrewers. Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need you guys to check in. Tell us what you brew.

I am relatively new to the craft. I have an IPA (whole grain) and an Irish Stout (grain/extract) under my belt, with an Imperial Red Ale set to brew Sunday along with some red wine and some blackberry mead. I dont do kits. Really trying to learn about flavours, bitters, aromas so my last 2 have been, in all honesty, my own recipes. The IPA was awesome if you love hops. The stout, Im a little worried about. Had an OG around 1.062 and its was 1.023 before going to 2ndary fermenter and only dropped .001 in 7 days (was expecting a FG of 1.015). But oh well, its a learning experience, right?

Just looking to find out who my fellow brewers are. Afterall, it is a hobby based heavily on community, is it not?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my homebrew stuff is still in the garage. been meaning to get started and join high plains.

also i found that the belle isle brewery has 1/2gal growlers for $13.xx (refills 10.xx) so i got a bit lazy.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Mr Beer system, I have 5 brews that I have finished (Pale Ale, Belgian White, Dutch Apple Ale, Altbier, Oktoberfest) with 2 more running right now one being an Irish Stout, and the other is called Novacaine (a whopping 10.2% ABV). At some point I would love to look into getting further into brewing but for now the beers I have made with Mr Beer have been Outstanding.

I have 5 other recipies waiting to be started once I bottle the 2 I have going now. One of them being an IPA.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do wine.
My dad did home brew beer while growing up. I loved bottling time as a kid. The dammed siphon hose would quit every so often, requiring a reload.....:D

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright. Im doing a little 1 gallon test batch of mead.

Used filtered water
Wine Yeast
1 cup of fresh squeeze OJ (little yeast nutrient)
24oz of black berries
3 lbs of clover fed honey
tiny pinch of irish moss to clarify

OG came out to about 1.100, but I dont think thats counting all the sugar in the berries. Must tasted pretty damn good.

Guess now its down to waiting over a year....

Dennis, how long do you typically age? Ever done oak aging?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom