Hoppin' John

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
For those who traditionally eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, here is the original recipe.

Hoppin' John

Yields: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Soak time: 1 to 2 hours
Cook time: 2 hr

Ingredients:
2 cups dried black-eyed peas
Cold water
1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation:
Before preparing dried beans, sort through them thoroughly for tiny pebbles or other debris. Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas.

Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil.

Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.

Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add water or chicken broth; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).

Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot.

Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Happy New Year!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine always makes this at this time of year. Tastes like, well, not sure since I have never eaten any of the stuff I think it may taste like.

However, your recipe is different from his, and I suspect a lot more tasty.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much my recipe too ... except I throw a handful of jalepenos in ... And CB, you need to make some of this stuff ... It's pretty good stuff! :) I eat it all year long ... It's really good in the summer as a cold salad. Just add some chopped celery and red onion for crunch and eat it straight from the fridge ...

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife cooks 'em in crockpot or pressure cooker every New Years Day. We usually put in bacon, ham chunks, or ham hocks.

Also, have jalapeno & cheese cornbread. MMmmmmmm goood!!

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost to the rice stage. It smells great. Never made this before, so I'm looking forward to eating it. Thanks OP.

[Broken External Image]

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made it this evening to give my wife a break from cooking after the Christmas rush. I used the basic recipe but with one large red and one large yellow onion; 2 lbs of ham, cubed; 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles and some jalapeños - it came out great. Thanks for the idea and the suggestions for additions. My wife, our kids, and our guests all gave it a thumbs up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom