Traditional Off grid Curing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this and thought someone might find it helpful.

Traditional Off grid Curing..
Preserving meats doesn’t have to be tricky. You don’t need special chambers and humidifiers unless you’re making custom fancy charcuterie for sale.
Many asked how to do large pieces of red meats like Venison. Well....here you go!

This is a 100% room temp stable venison rear quarter. Cut just above the bottom knuckle and upper thigh, skin off.
As you can see, field dressed and not butchered amazingly but I don’t care. The white here is salt, not white mold. This isn’t like bone in hams that will grow mold. It’s salt, sugar and pepper cured though.

It’s now in stage 2 of its drying life. Meaning it will just hang indefinitely and be used when needed.
How it’s done.
1. 2:1 salt and sugar in a big batch then add black pepper to liking. I add 2 cups per 10 lbs of meat.
2. In a box that will drain out the bottom put a thin layer of mix down, lay meat on top. Pour remaining mix over meat and rub generously everywhere.
3. Add lid that fits inside of box and add weight ontop. This promotes the water leaving the meat.
4. Leave for roughly 2 days per lb or until 15-20% weight loss. This will be faster with lean meats.
5. Remove, give a gentle rinse then hang. Done!

Notes:
1. This is normally done in cooler temps when hunting season is for the initial cure. No higher than 60°F is recommended humidity doesn’t matter.
2. For the second cure stage temps don’t matter, higher humidity is best. It will continue to sweat and drip so make sure you have something under it.
3. If you have low humidity or cooler temps you can also lard cover the entire piece, this will slow down and even out the drying process.
4. Ultimately this piece will become fully cured, meaning you don’t need to cook it to eat it. That will be at about 35% weight loss.
5. ONLY EVER USE NON IODIZED SALT - I ONLY use raw salt but Kosher, Sea or Himalayan sea salts are fine.

curing meats.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much salt/sugar mix. Box full? Half? Just cover the meat?

I cure my own ham and bacon. I dry cure it like in this post so it relates well here because the process is similar. Two things to remember.

1) I do it in the refrigerator (which actually takes a little longer but is mucho safer),
and
2) I hot smoke it until 145 degrees internal, though it'll keep a pretty long time with a cold smoke if refrigerated after smoking. I'm going to do a cold smoke soon since the weather is close to cooperating now!

This is referred to as "equalization curing".

EVERYTHING is calculated by weight. Weigh the meat, weigh the salts, sugar etc.

How much you use is:

I weigh the meat and convert to grams. I fillet the bone out of pork butts and weigh after the bone is gone.

Salt is 2.25% (of meat weight) (I use kosher)
Curing salt #1 is 0.25% (do not reduce this, but don't go nuts overboard either as it's toxic in large quantities, that's why it's pink in color so as to not be confused with table salt)
Sugar is 1.00%
You can add any spices you want after these three in whichever proportion you want. I usually eyball a nice amount of course black pepper to add.

I should also note that I do this in a bag as it won't be dry for long. Usually get at least 1.5 cups of liquid out of a 8lb pork belly or shoulder but this will vary. I also coat the entire piece and put all of the weighed ingredients in the bag. Do NOT drain the liquid as it comes off. The salt and cure is in there and it helps distribute it all over as you roll it every day for the next 10-14 days. This liquid is the moisture being pulled out by the salt. After a couple of days all of the dry stuff you put in will probably be all dissolved. That's OK let it do what it's supposed to do.

You can also play with the amount of salt, just do NOT adjust the curing salt amount. The 2.25% shown seems close to store bought bacon saltiness level. Also the sugar can be whatever form you want. Pure maple syrup? Yes. Brown sugar? Yes. Whatever you want to use.

I do the calculations in an Excel spreadsheet but calculators, pencils and Big Chief Pads work too! An example is:

7.75lb belly or butt = 3515 grams
Salt = 79.10 grams
Cure #1 = 8.79 grams
Sugar = 35.15 grams

After the 10-14 days, pull it out and wash the hell out of it in the sink. I usually throw it back in the fridge for a day or three before smoking, but it's ready to cook when you get it dried off from rinsing.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cure my own ham and bacon. I dry cure it like in this post so it relates well here because the process is similar. Two things to remember.

1) I do it in the refrigerator (which actually takes a little longer but is mucho safer),
and
2) I hot smoke it until 145 degrees internal, though it'll keep a pretty long time with a cold smoke if refrigerated after smoking. I'm going to do a cold smoke soon since the weather is close to cooperating now!

This is referred to as "equalization curing".

EVERYTHING is calculated by weight. Weigh the meat, weigh the salts, sugar etc.

How much you use is:

I weigh the meat and convert to grams. I fillet the bone out of pork butts and weigh after the bone is gone.

Salt is 2.25% (of meat weight) (I use kosher)
Curing salt #1 is 0.25% (do not reduce this, but don't go nuts overboard either as it's toxic in large quantities, that's why it's pink in color so as to not be confused with table salt)
Sugar is 1.00%
You can add any spices you want after these three in whichever proportion you want. I usually eyball a nice amount of course black pepper to add.

I should also note that I do this in a bag as it won't be dry for long. Usually get at least 1.5 cups of liquid out of a 8lb pork belly or shoulder but this will vary. I also coat the entire piece and put all of the weighed ingredients in the bag. Do NOT drain the liquid as it comes off. The salt and cure is in there and it helps distribute it all over as you roll it every day for the next 10-14 days. This liquid is the moisture being pulled out by the salt. After a couple of days all of the dry stuff you put in will probably be all dissolved. That's OK let it do what it's supposed to do.

You can also play with the amount of salt, just do NOT adjust the curing salt amount. The 2.25% shown seems close to store bought bacon saltiness level. Also the sugar can be whatever form you want. Pure maple syrup? Yes. Brown sugar? Yes. Whatever you want to use.

I do the calculations in an Excel spreadsheet but calculators, pencils and Big Chief Pads work too! An example is:

7.75lb belly or butt = 3515 grams
Salt = 79.10 grams
Cure #1 = 8.79 grams
Sugar = 35.15 grams

After the 10-14 days, pull it out and wash the hell out of it in the sink. I usually throw it back in the fridge for a day or three before smoking, but it's ready to cook when you get it dried off from rinsing.
Always better to hear from somebody that has done it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom