Horological Humility: I Had To Re-Learn A Lesson Tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around 6 months ago, I acquired my initial set of mainspring winders. Before that, I had been manually installing mainsprings, a task I had grown quite comfortable with. I underwent the usual learning curve associated with adopting a winder, specifically the Bergeon arbor/drum type. While I faced challenges at the outset, I managed to achieve significant success following a few initial setbacks.

However, tonight marked an instance where my confidence with the winder led me astray. As I commenced assembling my next project, I allowed overconfidence to cloud my judgment. I successfully wound the mainspring up to the bridal point, and with a hasty adjustment by hand, I attempted to insert the bridal in the drum and finish winding the mainspring. Unfortunately, my approach was far too forceful, and the bridal was not properly aligned within the drum. The consequence was immediate: a resounding SNAP! The mainspring broke precisely at the bridal junction.

This mishap was unequivocally my own doing, serving as a stark reminder that the pace of our work, especially when dealing with vintage watches, must be deliberate and measured. Regrettably, I had failed to give due attention to my actions, and the repercussions were evident. This incident underscored the value of patience and attentiveness when working on horological projects.

I couldn't escape the irony that my error led to a $32 order from Jules Borel tonight. Though it had been some time since I last required a replacement part due to my own blunder, this served as an insightful lesson I won't soon forget.

1.jpg

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And this was after I had to adjust the end-shake on the balance earlier tonight. A seldom needed, delicate and tedious process to say the least. Perhaps this mundane task didn't warrant my full attention after completing a rather difficult and uncommon repair on the balance. Lesson learned - $32 later.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, looks to me like you may just be a human and not a watch super hero !!
I spent several minutes crawling around the floor, yesterday, looking for a second hand that was giving me cussing fits
LOL. Guess who failed to sweep the floor before working on a watch...again.. Dude in the mirror is hard headed .

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daggum it Thor! Everyone knows you gotta pay attention when lining up the drum with the mainspring or the torque multiplier will fall out of sync leading to the counter shaft falling which in turn will grenade the mainspring. I hope the $32 will learn you!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh no, say it isn’t so! At least the problem is easily corrected although to the tune of $32.00. I did in a revolver trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. Now that’s really irritating. 😉
Yeah, I'd imagine. At least this one only hurts my wallet and my pride a little bit. It is easily recoverable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom