House Explosion In Michigan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if the ATF and/or the FBI is investigating this over-the-top house explosion?

Something is fishy about this. It happened in the middle of the afternoon with people present, and if it were gas, the smell would have alerted them. Besides, I've not seen a house that was blown up by gas spread debris that far and wide.

Woody

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's just LA's EOD disposing of 'unapproved fireworks' in an undersized containment truck AGAIN. Move along, nothing to see here.
l-explosion-video-shows-lapd-truck-obiliterated.png

:homer:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like fuel air mix was optimal for the entire volume of the containment. Not easy even on purpose. Anyone know lel and uel range for natural gas? Hmmm i go look now.
Terrible situation. My thoughts out to them.

Found it
https://www.wermac.org/safety/safety_what_is_lel_and_uel.html
5% to 15%. The closer to 10%, the more efficiently it will burn.

It is possible for dirt to filter the mercaptan out of natural gas if the leak is underground, so not smelling a leak is very possible. It's also possible that an equipment failure resulted in it not being scented, but that's probably less likely.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5% to 15%. The closer to 10%, the more efficiently it will burn.

It is possible for dirt to filter the mercaptan out of natural gas if the leak is underground, so not smelling a leak is very possible. It's also possible that an equipment failure resulted in it not being scented, but that's probably less likely.
Smell it or not, at what concentration will natural gas or propane cause fainting, sickness, etc.? My search didn't reveal any specific data, only symptoms.

NOTE: There is a propane tank visible in the aerial photo of the destruction and on Google Maps.
ANECDOTE: I found a leak on my propane tank evidently because that mercaptan attracks flies!

Woody

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smell it or not, at what concentration will natural gas or propane cause fainting, sickness, etc.? My search didn't reveal any specific data, only symptoms.

NOTE: There is a propane tank visible in the aerial photo of the destruction and on Google Maps.

Woody
That's what I heard, that it was propane, not NG. IIRC, propane is heavier than air and settles, whereas NG is light and disperses?

Latest posts

Top Bottom