How about a BUG match?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just got a Ruger LCR and am thinking about shooting an IDPA match with it just for some added practice (if it's "allowed") and it got me to thinking, why not have a BUG match? Just a local match with an IDPA type theme, but that had restrictions of sub-compact guns only. Make the mag limit 5, and have average stages be of 8-10 rounds, all limited vickers, to emphasive the fact that with smaller guns there is less room for error, and max rang of maybe 10 yards. It could be a short match, with the imited round count, and say 4 stages, you would only need 1 box of ammo. (since some of the mouse guns are costly to feed)

Anyone else interested in this? Maybe after an IDPA match at a local club, the stages could be re-set a bit to accomodate people staying for an extra match, or others just coming to the BUG shoot. What do ya think?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oh, and to avoid any safety issues with deep concealment holsters, we could just start at low ready, again, so everyone is on the same page. Help me flesh this out guys, then lets make it work. Maybe a club can offer to let us do it every 3rd month after the IDPA match or something.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, a BUG is just that - a Back Up Gun. As in, it's not your primary weapon. So, I'd think a more "realistic" IDPA match involving BUG's would be structured such that you start off with your primary weapon. Fire one round to simulate a subsequent weapon jam, re-holster (or throw down ;) ) your primary weapon and draw your BUG, then proceed through the stage. Something like that; having yet to do an IDPA match, I may be spouting nonsense :hithead:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As I understand it, a BUG is just that - a Back Up Gun. As in, it's not your primary weapon. So, I'd think a more "realistic" IDPA match involving BUG's would be structured such that you start off with your primary weapon. Fire one round to simulate a subsequent weapon jam, re-holster (or throw down ;) ) your primary weapon and draw your BUG, then proceed through the stage. Something like that; having yet to do an IDPA match, I may be spouting nonsense :hithead:

Well, having two loaded weapons on the range complicates things, but also for some people, what is normally considered a BUG may be a primary due to needing deeper concealment, or any number of reasons. So I am more thinking of a match geared toward these people, as well as for people like myself who wish to have a bit of extra practice with what is some days a BUG, and other days is a primary.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, having two loaded weapons on the range complicates things, but also for some people, what is normally considered a BUG may be a primary due to needing deeper concealment, or any number of reasons. So I am more thinking of a match geared toward these people, as well as for people like myself who wish to have a bit of extra practice with what is some days a BUG, and other days is a primary.

Would be interested, since most of the time my primary is a J-frame, or two.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would definitely be interested. I try to carry a full-size semi-auto as often as I can, but probably >50% of the time due to work clothing or other issues I just have my J-frame on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom