How about a BUG match?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
July 09 - Oil Capital IDPA was set up so you could competitively shoot your bug gun. (so the organizer told me - what do i know).

The targets were closer and some guys were shooting with their Kel-Tech, etc. (sp) and revolvers.

I think it is a great idea. Of course guys can shoot whatever they want, you can't make they shoot the bug guns and some people don't actually have them but have the shoot/range set up for closer targets and less round count will be very good.

I have often wondered just how I would do with my 5 shot J frame in a real self defense setting. Sure I have shot it at paper and simulated multiple assilants and distances but it would be nice to be able to shoot IDPA and not get pentalized in your score for using the small gun.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea and I would participate.

At lasts years Tactical Conference at USSA they had a side match that was was a bug match. It did have to be drawn from concealment and barrel length could be no more than 3". It was very short and really just 2 small stages.

I am in.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
July 09 - Oil Capital IDPA was set up so you could competitively shoot your bug gun. (so the organizer told me - what do i know).

The targets were closer and some guys were shooting with their Kel-Tech, etc. (sp) and revolvers.

I think it is a great idea. Of course guys can shoot whatever they want, you can't make they shoot the bug guns and some people don't actually have them but have the shoot/range set up for closer targets and less round count will be very good. . . .
And we'll do it again in 2010, but not until after the Badlands Regional/2010 Oklahoma State IDPA in April.

Lots of guys carry a gun of the same type/style as their match gun, but often a more compact version. Shoot matches with a S&W 686, carry a S&W 640. Shoot matches with a Glock 34, carry a 19.

IDPA does have specific rules for a BUG gun and a set of BUG gun COF rules. Not everyone's carry gun is a BUG as defined by IDPA. Personally I like to practice with my real carry gun as opposed to a match-defined BUG gun, if that BUG is not what I actually carry. Bad guys, if they accost you, don't defer to BUG gun rules for number of rounds required.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had stages where there is a pickup BUG to finish with after simulating your primary going down. The issue is ammo cost as some people don't have BUGS, so that's usually left to sanctioned matches where the larger entry fee can cover it (we always have side matches at sanctioned matches too, which sometimes includes a BUG stage.

We normally do BUG friendly stages in warmer months as people wear less clothing and switch to smaller guns. of course you're always welcome to shoot BUG at any regular match and we've had a few do just that.

IF the weather is nice on 2/13 and a group of shooters wants to go back and shoot the regular match stages at the USSA IDPA match (or a shortened version of them), I'd be willing to stick around till they finish. I'll be running that match as Curt still hasn't completed recovery from ankle surgery.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
shhhh.....don't tell anyone but there may be a snubby side match at H&H in March or April.

Latest posts

Top Bottom