how did your opening weekend go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw 5 bucks yesterday morning. 3 came into the creek bottom I was in at 7:00 to 15 yards. It was too dark still to see my pins and to get a real good look at the racks. I know one was a for sure shooter, but he didn't hang around for the ten additional minutes I needed to see my pins. Two more 8 pointers came within 60 yards around 7:30 but they didn't come down into the creek bottom. One of them was a real nice tall 8. Looked like he polished the tips of his antlers up real nice already. Saw 5 long beards later in the morning.

Afternoon hunt was hot and miserable. Didn't see anything. Good luck to everyone the rest of the weekend!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much the same here, but I do put then on the ground on a tarp with legs up, and pack ice in the cavity, and all around the outside of the animal, and pull the tarp over the top to keep fly's off.

Yep, I guess I should have mentioned that I have a dedicated deer hoist in my shop, so I'm not hanging them out in the open. I have hung them in the open when hunting away from home and I wrapped them in a tarp while hanging.

If I can't hang them, I try to put something under them to allow air to circulate.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I guess I should have mentioned that I have a dedicated deer hoist in my shop, so I'm not hanging them out in the open. I have hung them in the open when hunting away from home and I wrapped them in a tarp while hanging.

If I can't hang them, I try to put something under them to allow air to circulate.

I also have a dedicated hoist in my shop.
sure makes it easy to skin one out, doesn't it? :D

SIG44

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm working all weekend. Drill for the Air Guard always falls on the 1st weekend of October. I'm sure ready to crawl up in the tree. Guess I'll have to wait tll next weekend.

usmc1986

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went ok. Didn't shoot at anything. Had my pick of 5 gobblers at about 9am on Friday decided to pass for now. They come around often enough. Mama Doe and this years baby came in (spots are almost gone). If that mama didn't have the baby she would have been on the ground - a real smarty pants mature doe.

I saw about 6 other doe and the twin bucks that were born last year, too many eyes too close together to take the chance. Plenty of time left. They all look nice and healthy, but none of the big boys showed up to play. Need some of the big ones (Nice 10-12 pointers) from the adjoining properties to breed these darned doe. All my bucks are from the same danged daddy never throw the 10th point, just a nub - but daddy is gone as of last year. He was getting a bit old and figured it might allow a more mature buck to hop on into the gene pool.

I spent today with my 10 yr old and a buddy replacing one hang on stand with one that was more comfortable, and burned some old rye/wheat growth off of one of the small food plots. The wind was perfect and made it about a 15 minute job - although we probably should have done that about a month ago.

I might do an afternoon sit tomorrow and see what shows up. Temps will be nice.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a spike at 33 yards,1 rabbit and about a dozen quail,Saturday evening,won't hunt this Sunday,I've got to get ready for the Wyoming mule deer hunt that starts the 15 of Oct..Got to get the 308 going and get my clothes ready.Good luck to all

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My weekend went great. Best weather I can remember for a long time for opening weekend. I saw mostly does and yearling bucks. Nothing even close to being mature. I did however take a nice doe with the ol' longbow. It was a good way to start the year off.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good first weekend. Have seen 6-8 doe at a go, and one spike buck so far. Haven't been close enough to the stand yet though. Got to see a nice doe get chased around by a coyote yesterday am. I've got something for him I'll have to bring next time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom