How do you break in your rimfire bolt action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of lead target rounds actually require "seasoning" the barrel (getting a proper coating of the lube down the length). I'd probably only clean if I were switching back and forth between copper plated and lead rounds...and if only shooting match ammo then I'd only clean if accuracy fell off (assuming same lot of ammo).

Zombie Slayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my FV-SR a few weeks ago, and got the stock last week. Thinking about taking it to the range to get a few rounds through it. I have been working the action when I pulled it out for whatever reason, but still haven't shot it. What do you do to your new bolts? I don't have a torque wrench for the DIP bottom metal yet, but more worried about break in that shooting small groups for it right now.

I have Remington Subsonics, Winchester M-22, Federal Automatch, CCI SV, CCI Mini-mags, Federal American Eagle, Remington Golden Bullets, and Winchester 333s for ammo choices. Plan on keeping subsonics or "match" ammo through it.
Shoot it

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a Springfield 86C 1935-48 22LR w/Weaver &J4 mount for 45 years. It has lived on WD40 since I have owned it. Squirrel killing rifle. Looks great too! Lived its life in my Shop Buildings I have owned since I became an adult. It stays loaded with every other round is a fragmenting and a 710fps lead round nose. It is quiet like a pellet rifle. Every now and then soak it down with WD40 and air blow it out. Then re-coat with WD40 and wipe down, reload and sits waiting for vermin the dog kicks up.

Oh yea one more thing, all my WD40 has propane in it! LOL!

Last edited:

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All .22LR match ammo is sub-sonic due to the problems when they go transitional. The real fun comes in the lot testing To find what works best in your rifle.
I get Tight groups with the NORMA TAC, which you can find for $5 per box, and the $20 box S&K Match. Both shoot really good. Now to tell the whole ruth , I'm shooting out of a match barrel! Guessing that will make a Big Difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom