How do you deal with a senile gun owner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL is not senile yet .He will be moving in an assisted living ctr soon. he cannot take them to the ctr and has given them to all the relatives. Good luck to you.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the guns. Seriously. You will be averting a potential tragedy. It's not a comfortable thing to do, but necessary.

I agree take the guns. Its kind of the same situation as taking the car keys away.

I went though this last year (almost exactly). As JB says, its serious business.

I took the guns in broad daylight with him watching/supervising. I considered leaving guns and no ammo - but ammo is easy to get.

I bought a special safe for his guns at my place. When dad is over sometimes I get one or two out to let him know that I wont sell them and that they are still his. This seems to help a bit - but every man is different.

Violating the will of an elder is a hard thing for a well-raised adult child to do. But sometimes it has to be done. I ignored all the other relatives advice until I saw a few things for myself that needed to be changed (anger, violent talk, etc).

This is the best advice. Do not leave them disabled. If they know they are there, and end up in a situation that they feel that they can depend on them to defend themselves, they can put themselves in harm's way not knowing they don't work, for example, checking on a burglar with an inoperative gun. They deserve the honest action. They will be mad, but hold firm. We had to do this with one of our sons, and it was not easy. Be honest and do the right thing.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I had to disarm my dad. Mom was still o.k. so I left her the 2 pistols she was comfortable with and preferred. A few years later after dad was gone she had a mishap, (missed the possum and almost shot her dog) and since she had started having some problems driving I took the guns and her keys and moved her in with me.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through that with Dad. I took back the model 94 3030. It was mine.

I told him that I needed to clean his 20 gauge. It was legally mine anyway. He had a twelve ga and it quit firing on one side and I traded it and a .22 and some cash for the identical 20 ga. ( stevens 311's) The 4473 had my name on it.

Mom hid the ammo for the two .22s because she wanted them there and could shoot them. Dad passed away last year and mom has given the .22 rifle to my oldest son and the .22 pistol to my youngest son. Dad had given me Grandpa's 10 ga winchester years ago. My brother has moved in with Mom and keeps a .380 for defense.

It was hard to do. The hardest part is seeing the man that taught me to shoot being in that state. I hope my sons don't see that.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the guns. Seriously. You will be averting a potential tragedy. It's not a comfortable thing to do, but necessary.

Even though you've gone to the dark side (forum ownership, republican) you are dead right here.

To the OP, do it quickly. Make a plan, have all the help you need, and get it done.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the best advice. Do not leave them disabled. If they know they are there, and end up in a situation that they feel that they can depend on them to defend themselves, they can put themselves in harm's way not knowing they don't work, for example, checking on a burglar with an inoperative gun. They deserve the honest action. They will be mad, but hold firm. We had to do this with one of our sons, and it was not easy. Be honest and do the right thing.

As an old fart with purported memory challenges, I applaud this approach. As I approach 70 y/o, I still hold a job which requires the daily analysis of complex contracts. In addition, I write with complete sentences without the use of spell-check.

Just sayin' :preocc:

LL

Latest posts

Top Bottom