What would swampratt do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So recently I got a 1/2 HP Badger 5 food disposal that came with kind of screwed up. The stud for the waste discharge chute to screw into was 45 degrees off and sheared from the factory. No biggie, called them up and they sent a new one.

Now, the question is, because they didn't require me to return the old one, and it's never gonna do much for a disposal, I took it apart to where I have basically a brand new 1/2 HP motor. So I'm here asking myself, "What would @swampratt do with this motor?"

My first thought is that I need to add some kind of variable speed control to it to have some measure of control. Then obviously take the "disposal spinning metal shred the food bits" off the rotating metal plate. But what then? Who has ideas???

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@THAT Gurl better watch it with her posts because I will go help build that RIGHT NOW!!!
I have the parts.

Seriously though electric motors are fun.
I really like my DC ones for making tumblers to clean brass cases.

I have made them with AC motors also.

I use Copper pins though that I made from THHN stranded wire.

Buffers are handy to sharpen or polish things.
That motor would be good for that or even a disc sander.

And you could mount the disc sander so the disc is flush in a work table and make it adjustable so you can bring it up a little at a time.

Be handy for surfacing something flat.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So recently I got a 1/2 HP Badger 5 food disposal that came with kind of screwed up. The stud for the waste discharge chute to screw into was 45 degrees off and sheared from the factory. No biggie, called them up and they sent a new one.

Now, the question is, because they didn't require me to return the old one, and it's never gonna do much for a disposal, I took it apart to where I have basically a brand new 1/2 HP motor. So I'm here asking myself, "What would @swampratt do with this motor?"

My first thought is that I need to add some kind of variable speed control to it to have some measure of control. Then obviously take the "disposal spinning metal shred the food bits" off the rotating metal plate. But what then? Who has ideas???

Some folks make grinders and lapping machines out of them. Also polishing machines. https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/wet-sharpener-garbage-disposal-video-100348

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a variable speed from HF and make a buffing polishing machine.

1712327962798.png

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go to Home Depot and get a 2x4, a blue tarp, some string, and a long extension cord. Then find an old go cart. At this point you have 2 options after you make a propeller out of the 2x4, mount the motor on the back so the prop is vertical and make a parachute out of the blue tarp, or mount the motor on top so the prop is horizontal and you could yell out "get to da choppa." You might have to tweak it a little bit, but it should be fine. When you land it you might have to talk to the mental health people. Oh, pick up a hard hat at the Home just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom