How do you get rid of maggots in outside trash bin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Flys can smell a mile away, so you would have to get rid of flys a mile around you in all directions. Best thing I found to trap flys is called fly bags, open it up put water in it, the bait bag will dissolve and makes the foulest smelling crap, but it works flys get in it, but can't get out, once its full close it up and trash it.
The Lowe’s in Edmond had these on clearance for $4. I figured I’d try one out, filled the bag in 24 hours

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave the lid open and let nature take its course. They'll be gone in a few days.

I have let those little suckers cook in the sun a few times. I gotta deal with the fly problem. Can was empty and clean no one around. The minute trash was put in there had some flys back. I tried some bleach in there but its old and doesn't have much smell to it. Will hit the dollar store later and try to find some moth balls.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also heard black pepper works. maybe some of that Critter Ridder which is black and white pepper.
Took care of cats that wanted under a trailer house.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lowe’s in Edmond had these on clearance for $4. I figured I’d try one out, filled the bag in 24 hours

It doesn't take long, to fill one up, I got two last year, one on back porch one on front porch couple days later I had to remove them full of flys and the smell was worse due to the flys in them. I work at lowes in norman and when a customer wants to trap flys I recommend these bags but at a disclosure, they smell keep away from doors but they do work.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't take long, to fill one up, I got two last year, one on back porch one on front porch couple days later I had to remove them full of flys and the smell was worse due to the flys in them. I work at lowes in norman and when a customer wants to trap flys I recommend these bags but at a disclosure, they smell keep away from doors but they do work.
Yeah, the smell was horrible. I had it hanging on a hook by the deck. My wife said the odor was to much. I moved it around the corner.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I run up to dollar store with wife. Finally found some but they are like the non stink-en-est ones I ever seen. We shall see if they work.
Probably the new enviro-friendly ones
Huh. I've been buying the old-fashioned smelly ones at Walmart.

Hope those work. FWIW, you may already have eggs inside, so if any hatch just rinse 'em out. The moth balls should keep flies from laying any more.

Luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom